Using Firebird ODBC in MS Word

André Knappstein, Controlling
Hi Gang!

Is  there  a  known technical reason why I can open literally any ODBC
driven data source in MS Word (2007 and higher), but *not* Firebird?

Do   I  have  to make any settings which escaped me so far, or will it
just  not  work  or  is the problem widely unknown so far? I'd like to
prepare   some   views  in  Firebird  and make them available for some
assistants (creating mail merges).

There  is  no  problem  in  MS Excel (via MSQuery), but using the same
*.dqy  throws  "unable  to  connect to datasource: library 'C:\program
files\Firebi'   failed   to  load",  with  an  additional  information
"SQL-Status 08004, return code: SQL_ERROR".

Creating   a new connection throws "Unable to retrieve table metadata"
(original   in  German:  "Es  konnten  keine  Tabellenlisten  von  der
Datenquelle bezogen werden").

using driver .152

thanks for any hint.

Re: Using Firebird ODBC in MS Word

Maury Markowitz
> Hi Gang!
>
> Is  there  a  known technical reason why I can open literally any ODBC
> driven data source in MS Word (2007 and higher), but *not* Firebird?

This may be a problem with 32-bit vs. 64-bit versions of the connector.

A number of components of the MS stack are still 32-bit only. This includes MS Query, and I believe may be true for VBA in general, or at least it's ADO resources.

You may wish to try installing both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, making separate DSN's for them, and seeing if that helps.

Re: Using Firebird ODBC in MS Word

André Knappstein, Controlling
Thanks for the reply, Maury.

Sorry for not specifying this from the beginning.
Problem is in 32-Bit-only OS, Win7.

Did not even try on 64-Bit

Did  try  with a locally installed 32-Bit 2.5 Superserver and a remote
1.5.6 Classic Server.

>> Hi Gang!
>>
>> Is  there  a  known technical reason why I can open literally any ODBC
>> driven data source in MS Word (2007 and higher), but *not* Firebird?

> This may be a problem with 32-bit vs. 64-bit versions of the connector.

> A number of components of the MS stack are still 32-bit only. This
> includes MS Query, and I believe may be true for VBA in general, or at least it's ADO resources.

> You may wish to try installing both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions,
> making separate DSN's for them, and seeing if that helps.

Re: Using Firebird ODBC in MS Word

Thomas Steinmaurer
> Is  there  a  known technical reason why I can open literally any ODBC
> driven data source in MS Word (2007 and higher), but *not* Firebird?
>
> Do   I  have  to make any settings which escaped me so far, or will it
> just  not  work  or  is the problem widely unknown so far? I'd like to
> prepare   some   views  in  Firebird  and make them available for some
> assistants (creating mail merges).
>
> There  is  no  problem  in  MS Excel (via MSQuery), but using the same
> *.dqy  throws  "unable  to  connect to datasource: library 'C:\program
> files\Firebi'   failed   to  load",  with  an  additional  information
> "SQL-Status 08004, return code: SQL_ERROR".
>
> Creating   a new connection throws "Unable to retrieve table metadata"
> (original   in  German:  "Es  konnten  keine  Tabellenlisten  von  der
> Datenquelle bezogen werden").

What Firebird user are you using for connecting? Is it SYSDBA or the
database owner?

--
With regards,
Thomas Steinmaurer

Re: Using Firebird ODBC in MS Word

André Knappstein, Controlling
>> Is  there  a  known technical reason why I can open literally any ODBC
>> driven data source in MS Word (2007 and higher), but *not* Firebird?
>>
>> Do   I  have  to make any settings which escaped me so far, or will it
>> just  not  work  or  is the problem widely unknown so far? I'd like to
>> prepare   some   views  in  Firebird  and make them available for some
>> assistants (creating mail merges).
>>
>> There  is  no  problem  in  MS Excel (via MSQuery), but using the same
>> *.dqy  throws  "unable  to  connect to datasource: library 'C:\program
>> files\Firebi'   failed   to  load",  with  an  additional  information
>> "SQL-Status 08004, return code: SQL_ERROR".
>>
>> Creating   a new connection throws "Unable to retrieve table metadata"
>> (original   in  German:  "Es  konnten  keine  Tabellenlisten  von  der
>> Datenquelle bezogen werden").

> What Firebird user are you using for connecting? Is it SYSDBA or the
> database owner?

SYSDBA for the first test.

Re: Using Firebird ODBC in MS Word

Alexander Potapchenko-2

Tell in-depth information how to reproduce your problem please.

--
Alexander Potapchenko
Team leader

Re: Using Firebird ODBC in MS Word

André Knappstein, Controlling
Alexander,

I  am  probably not too good in providing what you need to help me, so
if the following is not sufficient, please ask for more.

I  will  describe  the  steps leading to the error. I suppose that the
database  itself  and  the ODBC DSN are fine because they work well in
other applications.

1.) Open MSWord (2007) (SP3)
2.) Select tab "Mailings"
3.) Select "Select recipients" (or similar label...)
3.) Select "use an existing list"
4.) Select "New Datasource"
5.) Select "ODBC/DSN" from the list
6.) Select any valid ODBC-DSN pointing to any Firebird database

german   error  message:  Es  konnten  keine  Tabellenlisten  von  der
Datenquelle  bezogen  werden  (Unable  to retrieve table metadata from
data source)

> Hi,

> Tell in-depth information how to reproduce your problem please.

> On 20.03.2013 17:28, André Knappstein wrote:
>> Hi Gang!
>>
>> Is  there  a  known technical reason why I can open literally any ODBC
>> driven data source in MS Word (2007 and higher), but *not* Firebird?
>>
>> Do   I  have  to make any settings which escaped me so far, or will it
>> just  not  work  or  is the problem widely unknown so far? I'd like to
>> prepare   some   views  in  Firebird  and make them available for some
>> assistants (creating mail merges).
>>
>> There  is  no  problem  in  MS Excel (via MSQuery), but using the same
>> *.dqy  throws  "unable  to  connect to datasource: library 'C:\program
>> files\Firebi'   failed   to  load",  with  an  additional  information
>> "SQL-Status 08004, return code: SQL_ERROR".
>>
>> Creating   a new connection throws "Unable to retrieve table metadata"
>> (original   in  German:  "Es  konnten  keine  Tabellenlisten  von  der
>> Datenquelle bezogen werden").
>>
>> using driver .152
>>
>> thanks for any hint.

mit freundlichen Grüßen,

André Knappstein
EDV und Controlling
beta Eigenheim- und Grundstücksverwertungsgesellschaft mbH
Hafenweg 4
59192 Bergkamen-Rünthe

Telefon: +49 2389 9240 140
Telefax: +49 2389 9240 150
e-mail:  [hidden email]

Amtsgericht Hamm Nr. B 420
Geschäftsführer: Achim Krähling, Dirk Salewski und Matthias Steinhaus

USt-IDNr.: DE 125215402

Re: Using Firebird ODBC in MS Word

André Knappstein, Controlling
houh, hough, hough... brrrr.

please accept my apologies for stealing your time.

I  remembered  that I can also make a "trace" of ODBC calls, something
that    Mr.    Tsvigun  once  used  to find and eliminate a problem in
the driver (around 2004).
While  trying to create the trace I saw that, for whatever reason I'll
never  understand,  I  had  installed  an outdated ODBC driver on this
machine.
Re-Installing  .152,  all seems to work fine. Please excuse me for the
trouble.  Will you come to Luxemburg this year? There are so many guys
here   I  am  owing  a round of best czech or belgian beer for all the
time I'm stealing from them, one more won't matter :-)

On 22.03.2013 16:52, André Knappstein wrote:

> houh, hough, hough... brrrr.
>
> please accept my apologies for stealing your time.
>
> I  remembered  that I can also make a "trace" of ODBC calls, something
> that    Mr.    Tsvigun  once  used  to find and eliminate a problem in
> the driver (around 2004).
> While  trying to create the trace I saw that, for whatever reason I'll
> never  understand,  I  had  installed  an outdated ODBC driver on this
> machine.
> Re-Installing  .152,  all seems to work fine. Please excuse me for the
> trouble.
André,

Yes,  MS Word 2007 works fine with odbc driver 152.
> Will you come to Luxemburg this year? There are so many guys
> here   I  am  owing  a round of best czech or belgian beer for all the
> time I'm stealing from them, one more won't matter :-)

No, I will not come to Luxemburg this year unfortunately :-)

Regards,
Alexander