Problems with PC clients

Maury Markowitz
I have an extensive set of reporting tools in Excel that run against the Firebird database in Fishbowl Inventory using a DSN-less ODBC connection string. The string is...

Const cnn = "ODBC;Driver={Firebird/InterBase(r) driver};Client=E:\Fishbowl\odbc\fbclient32.dll;Datasource=192.168.3.200;Database=E:\Fishbowl\database\data\AS SOLAR.FDB;UID=gone;PWD=fishing;"

As you can see, the server has been installed on the E drive, and this sheet works great on that machine.

However, when I move to other machines in the office, I get generic errors - a problem in VBA's reporting of ODBC problems.

So first question... can I point to a client DLL on another machine?

Assuming I could not, I changed the Client= to the path to the DLL on the local machine, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions on how to test this? VBA basically hides all real information in these cases and simply returns "1004"

Re: Problems with PC clients

Dimitry Sibiryakov-3
29.11.2012 17:45, Maury Markowitz wrote:
> I changed the Client= to the path to the DLL on the local machine

   Install fbclient.dll to default accessible path using instclient and remove "Client"
part from connection string at all.
   Every client machine must have firebird client properly installed (not just copied).

--
   WBR, SD.

Re: Problems with PC clients

Maury Markowitz
On 2012-11-29, at 11:57 AM, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
>  Install fbclient.dll to default accessible path using instclient and remove "Client"
> part from connection string at all.

What is the "default accessible path" in this case?

Fishbowl ships with the 64-bit dll only, installed in it's own Program Files path. Running the installer and pointing it to that dll with the Client line works fine. This is true even on the client machines.

It is only the 32-bit version that appears to be having problems. That was manually installed in the same directory as the 64-bit version. Is this not correct?

Re: Problems with PC clients

Dimitry Sibiryakov-3

RTFM: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms886736.aspx

--
   WBR, SD.

Re: Problems with PC clients

Maury Markowitz
Not the problem then.

On 2012-11-29, at 12:15 PM, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> 29.11.2012 18:12, Maury Markowitz wrote:
>> What is the "default accessible path" in this case?
>
> RTFM: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms886736.aspx

Re: Problems with PC clients

Jorge Andrés Brugger
Use the odbc driver installer
(http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/odbc-driver/) on the other machine. Also
remove the client part from the connection string.

El 29/11/2012 01:45 p.m., Maury Markowitz escribió:

> I have an extensive set of reporting tools in Excel that run against the Firebird database in Fishbowl Inventory using a DSN-less ODBC connection string. The string is...
>
> Const cnn = "ODBC;Driver={Firebird/InterBase(r) driver};Client=E:\Fishbowl\odbc\fbclient32.dll;Datasource=192.168.3.200;Database=E:\Fishbowl\database\data\AS SOLAR.FDB;UID=gone;PWD=fishing;"
>
> As you can see, the server has been installed on the E drive, and this sheet works great on that machine.
>
> However, when I move to other machines in the office, I get generic errors - a problem in VBA's reporting of ODBC problems.
>
> So first question... can I point to a client DLL on another machine?
>
> Assuming I could not, I changed the Client= to the path to the DLL on the local machine, but that didn't help.
>
> Any suggestions on how to test this? VBA basically hides all real information in these cases and simply returns "1004"

Jorge Andrés Brugger
Informática
DASU - Obra Social del Personal de la Universidad Nacional de la Patagonia
Comodoro Rivadavia, Chubut, Argentina
Teléfono (0297) 446-4444 int. 103
Correo electrónico: [hidden email]
Website: www.dasu.com.ar

Re: Problems with PC clients

Steffen Heil
Hi

I don't think Excel is running on Windows CE.
But the cause of the problem might be right.
Just make sure to check the correct msdn article.
NOT the references one.

Regards,
  Steffen

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Problems with PC clients

Maury Markowitz
On 2012-11-29, at 12:45 PM, Jorge Andrés Brugger wrote:

> Use the odbc driver installer
> (http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/odbc-driver/) on the other machine.

I ran Firebird_ODBC_2.0.0.150_x64 on all of the machines in question.

> Also
> remove the client part from the connection string.

I did. That causes it to fail on all machines, including the previously working server.

Re: Problems with PC clients

Dimitry Sibiryakov-3
29.11.2012 18:47, Steffen Heil (Mailinglisten) wrote:
> Just make sure to check the correct msdn article.
> NOT the references one.

   Huh? Do you know any difference in LoadLibrary() between Windows editions?

--
   WBR, SD.

Re: Problems with PC clients

Steffen Heil
Hi

>    Huh? Do you know any difference in LoadLibrary() between Windows
> editions?

Not between "usual" Windows editions, but CE is somewhat special.
See:

9.aspx

The function itself does the same in a very similar manner.
However that article includes information about search folders and such.
This is no necessarily equal to CE.

Regards,
  Steffen

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment