ODBC on Windows 8

André Knappstein
On a quite bare Win-8 system, 64-Bit, I can register a new DSN for the
built-in SQL server ODBC driver, but not for the Firebird driver.

As soon as I select the driver, the ODBC administrator will crash.

I did not have any problems up to Win7 so far.
Do you have an idea where I could start searching?

On  which CPP-Version is the driver built? Maybe I did something wrong
in installing the required CPP runtimes.

thanks!

mit freundlichen Grüßen,

André Knappstein
EDV und Controlling
beta Eigenheim- und Grundstücksverwertungsgesellschaft mbH
Hafenweg 4
59192 Bergkamen-Rünthe

Telefon: +49 2389 9240 140
Telefax: +49 2389 9240 150
e-mail:  [hidden email]

Amtsgericht Hamm Nr. B 420
Geschäftsführer: Achim Krähling, Dirk Salewski und Matthias Steinhaus

USt-IDNr.: DE 125215402

Re: ODBC on Windows 8

Alexander Potapchenko-2
This bug is fixed in CVS - http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/ODBC-151

--
Alexander Potapchenko
Team leader

Re: ODBC on Windows 8

André Knappstein
Thanks  for  the confirmation, I have been reading the list before but
did not find any hint on that.

Please  excuse  the  ignorance.  I  tried my best but did not find any
place from where I can get the version 2.02 or the source code.
What can I do to find/get it, please?

So  far,  I  have  only very limited experience with using open source
code and compiling it myself.

> This bug is fixed in CVS -
> http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/ODBC-151

> On 11.10.2012 16:14, André Knappstein wrote:
>> On a quite bare Win-8 system, 64-Bit, I can register a new DSN for the
>> built-in SQL server ODBC driver, but not for the Firebird driver.
>>
>> As soon as I select the driver, the ODBC administrator will crash.
>>
>> I did not have any problems up to Win7 so far.
>> Do you have an idea where I could start searching?
>>
>> On  which CPP-Version is the driver built? Maybe I did something wrong
>> in installing the required CPP runtimes.
>>
>> thanks!

Re: ODBC on Windows 8

Alexander Potapchenko-2
You can get the source code from CVS:

http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/odbc-driver/ Section: Developers

On 15.10.2012 10:33, André Knappstein wrote:
> Thanks  for  the confirmation, I have been reading the list before but
> did not find any hint on that.
>
> Please  excuse  the  ignorance.  I  tried my best but did not find any
> place from where I can get the version 2.02 or the source code.
> What can I do to find/get it, please?
>
> So  far,  I  have  only very limited experience with using open source
> code and compiling it myself.

--
Alexander Potapchenko
Team leader
LASP Technologies, http://www.lasptech.ru

Re: ODBC on Windows 8

André Knappstein, Controlling
Thanks,  but I think that nevertheless I must give up for now and wait
until there is a version for mouse-jostlers like me.

I finally found the directory of the code, but I did not see any entry
for 2.x in a standard browser.

I tried different CVS clients to get it, but no luck so far.
A  tool called SmartCVS has options for Proxy, but I get I/O error, so
probably authentication does not work properly.
2  other  tools called "TortoiseCVS" and "WinCVS" obviously don't even
have options for working behind a secure proxy.

But  even  if  I  will solve  this  one as soon as I can manage to get
away  from  behind  the  security  server,   I   still expect problems
building the driver myself using VS2010 or VS2012.

Please notify the list as soon as there is a new build available.

Until  then I can either give the Win-8 boxes to people not relying on
older  Crystal  Reports  or  make  more speed in converting CRs to use
ADO.net instead of ODBC.

> You can get the source code from CVS:

> http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/odbc-driver/ Section: Developers

> On 15.10.2012 10:33, André Knappstein wrote:
>> Thanks  for  the confirmation, I have been reading the list before but
>> did not find any hint on that.
>>
>> Please  excuse  the  ignorance.  I  tried my best but did not find any
>> place from where I can get the version 2.02 or the source code.
>> What can I do to find/get it, please?
>>
>> So  far,  I  have  only very limited experience with using open source
>> code and compiling it myself.

Re: ODBC on Windows 8

Alexander Potapchenko-2
I have attached a snapshot of ODBC driver that can work with Win 8 here

--
Alexander Potapchenko
Team leader
LASP Technologies, http://www.lasptech.ru

Re: ODBC on Windows 8

André Knappstein, Controlling
Wow! Works! Thanks so much.
I   hope  you will be in Luxemburg, so I can at least spend a round of
beer or wine in return.