ODBC and Bigint in MS Access

bjoern.reimer
Hello,

  we  stepped  over  a  small  problem with current odbc driver and MS
  Access:

  BIGINT  (in  our  Db  primary keys) fields are presented as text 255
  fields in access.

  Trying  another  client  via odbc they are presented as flaot fields
  wich  seems to be a littel bit better than text 255 but not what I'd
  expect.

  Can  anybody give me the info where there could be a problem and how
  to get bigint as a number to access via odbc?

  There  must be  a  problem  in  Access  as I found people mentioning
  similar problems with MS SQL Server and Access.

    Björn

Re: ODBC and Bigint in MS Access

Walter R. Ojeda Valiente
A similar problem happens with Visual FoxPro, the bigints fields of Firebird are translated as character(19)

Why?

No idea, but so it is. The solution is easy, the VAL() function solves the problem by casting the character(19) field to a numeric field, but at first it is annoying.

I have to live with that.

Greetings.

Walter.