Main page redesign

123

Main page redesign

Alexey Kovyazin-2
Hi All,

We are planning to change the main page at Firebirdsql.org, in order to
make it more friendly for users, and make it more news-oriented and
mobile friendly.
It is not a planned as a big redesign - we will implement changes in
small pieces, one by one, and see how it works.

The good (not ideal) example is PostgreSQL.org

 From technical point of view we need to fix these issues
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffirebirdsql.org%2F

All ideas and proposals are very welcome.

Regards,
Alexey Kovyazin

Re: Main page redesign

Dmitry Yemanov-3
Alexey et al,

Maybe somewhat beyond the intended redesign, but anyway:

1) More news items than just last three. Preferrably in the short form
(only date + title), maybe except the top one (as full text).

2) We should think about adding "Community News" parallel to "Project
News", maybe maintained by Carlos and other "newsmakers" directly (thus
deprecating firebirdnews.org). Or get their permission to mirror
community news on firebirdsql.org.

3) I believe we should remove the tabs (Get Started / Stay in Touch /
Contribute). That was my idea but now I don't think it works as
expected. As for "Stay In Touch", I propose to remove it completely,
instead I'll improve the /en/development/ page. Others could be
re-implemented as separate pages somehow linked from the main page.

3) Left-side banners (Join / Follow Us / Newsletter) should be reworked
to become smaller, down to just icon/button with hyperlink, and maybe
moved elsewhere. Currently they don't work good on any page with
contents - ugly looking below the left-side menu, sometimes fully or
partially invisible without scrolling.

4) The same for the top-side banners on contents pages (Latest Release /
Contribute / Tracker). They're well visible but take too much space.

5) Remove grey-line borders around page contents.

Dmitry

Re: Main page redesign

Alexey Kovyazin-2
Hi,

For #3b I propose to get rid of these banners and instead of them put
appropriate buttons - Facebook Share, Twitter Share, Email subscribe in
the end of each page. We have really low click on them, as well as in #4.

Regards,
Alexey

> Alexey et al,
>
> Maybe somewhat beyond the intended redesign, but anyway:
>
> 1) More news items than just last three. Preferrably in the short form
> (only date + title), maybe except the top one (as full text).
>
> 2) We should think about adding "Community News" parallel to "Project
> News", maybe maintained by Carlos and other "newsmakers" directly (thus
> deprecating firebirdnews.org). Or get their permission to mirror
> community news on firebirdsql.org.
>
> 3) I believe we should remove the tabs (Get Started / Stay in Touch /
> Contribute). That was my idea but now I don't think it works as
> expected. As for "Stay In Touch", I propose to remove it completely,
> instead I'll improve the /en/development/ page. Others could be
> re-implemented as separate pages somehow linked from the main page.
>
> 3) Left-side banners (Join / Follow Us / Newsletter) should be reworked
> to become smaller, down to just icon/button with hyperlink, and maybe
> moved elsewhere. Currently they don't work good on any page with
> contents - ugly looking below the left-side menu, sometimes fully or
> partially invisible without scrolling.
>
> 4) The same for the top-side banners on contents pages (Latest Release /
> Contribute / Tracker). They're well visible but take too much space.
>
> 5) Remove grey-line borders around page contents.
>

> Dmitry

Re: Main page redesign

Alexey Kovyazin-2

Please review changes on the test server
http://md186.dqteam.com/en/start/

Regards,
Alexey

> Alexey et al,
>
> Maybe somewhat beyond the intended redesign, but anyway:
>
> 1) More news items than just last three. Preferrably in the short form
> (only date + title), maybe except the top one (as full text).
>
> 2) We should think about adding "Community News" parallel to "Project
> News", maybe maintained by Carlos and other "newsmakers" directly (thus
> deprecating firebirdnews.org). Or get their permission to mirror
> community news on firebirdsql.org.
>
> 3) I believe we should remove the tabs (Get Started / Stay in Touch /
> Contribute). That was my idea but now I don't think it works as
> expected. As for "Stay In Touch", I propose to remove it completely,
> instead I'll improve the /en/development/ page. Others could be
> re-implemented as separate pages somehow linked from the main page.
>
> 3) Left-side banners (Join / Follow Us / Newsletter) should be reworked
> to become smaller, down to just icon/button with hyperlink, and maybe
> moved elsewhere. Currently they don't work good on any page with
> contents - ugly looking below the left-side menu, sometimes fully or
> partially invisible without scrolling.
>
> 4) The same for the top-side banners on contents pages (Latest Release /
> Contribute / Tracker). They're well visible but take too much space.
>
> 5) Remove grey-line borders around page contents.
>

> Dmitry

Re: Main page redesign

Alexey Kovyazin-2
Hi All,

The first iteration is ready
http://md186.dqteam.com/en/start/

Please give some feedback.

Regards,
Alexey

17.05.2016 18:24, Dmitry Yemanov:

> Alexey et al,
>
> Maybe somewhat beyond the intended redesign, but anyway:
>
> 1) More news items than just last three. Preferrably in the short form
> (only date + title), maybe except the top one (as full text).
>
> 2) We should think about adding "Community News" parallel to "Project
> News", maybe maintained by Carlos and other "newsmakers" directly (thus
> deprecating firebirdnews.org). Or get their permission to mirror
> community news on firebirdsql.org.
>
> 3) I believe we should remove the tabs (Get Started / Stay in Touch /
> Contribute). That was my idea but now I don't think it works as
> expected. As for "Stay In Touch", I propose to remove it completely,
> instead I'll improve the /en/development/ page. Others could be
> re-implemented as separate pages somehow linked from the main page.
>
> 3) Left-side banners (Join / Follow Us / Newsletter) should be reworked
> to become smaller, down to just icon/button with hyperlink, and maybe
> moved elsewhere. Currently they don't work good on any page with
> contents - ugly looking below the left-side menu, sometimes fully or
> partially invisible without scrolling.
>
> 4) The same for the top-side banners on contents pages (Latest Release /
> Contribute / Tracker). They're well visible but take too much space.
>
> 5) Remove grey-line borders around page contents.
>

> Dmitry

Re: Main page redesign

Dmitry Yemanov-3
26.05.2016 19:34, Alexey Kovyazin wrote:

> The first iteration is ready
> http://md186.dqteam.com/en/start/
>
> Please give some feedback.

(*) AFAIU, one of the goals is to show more news on the page (provided
we can generate them more actively), but I still see the same three
items as before, just with a larger font.

(*) The large font may be OK for the last (top) news item, but looks
like an overkill for the whole page, it looks heavy.

I still suggest to consider showing only the top item in full text,
while the older ones will be shown as "history" in smaller font, e.g.

November 19, 2015
** Firebird 2.5.5 sub-release is available

Firebird Project is happy to announce general availability of Firebird
2.5.5 — the latest minor release in the Firebird 2.5 series.

This sub-release introduces several bug fixes and a few improvements,
please refer to the Release Notes for the full list of changes. Binary
kits for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X on both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms
are immediately available for download.

-----------

November 11, 2015
Fb 2.5 Language Reference

[probably a digest here]

-----------

November 10, 2015
Survey about Firebird 3 Installer

[probably a digest here]

-----------

7 more items (totally 10)

If we really want to have news as full text on the main page, then IMHO
only the top item should have large font, older ones should be smaller.
Then we could publish more of them without too much scrolling.

(*) Personally, I prefer blue'ish font color for the news titles, like
we have now. Being blue at "hover" is not that bad, but IMHO slightly
worse. You may ignore that if you wish ;-)

(*) I don't like styling of section headers. I'd replace

-- Firebird Project News ---------------------------------------------

with either

Firebird Project News ------------------------------------------------

or maybe with

Firebird Project News

the same for "Latest Releases", "Case Studies" and all other page
headers. Probably the line should be thicker or of some different color,
currently it looks too close to the section separator line.

(*) Put more space between the banner and "Latest Releases" section. The
gap should be nearly the same size as between "Latest Releases" and
"Case Studies".

(*) Given the banner becomes the only graphical element, maybe it's
worth to make it slightly larger (~150%) and put more descriptive text
on it. For example, the current banner looks like pointing to the "SQL
features" description document rather than to the new release (by the
way, it does not point to anywhere at all at the moment ;-). I'd rather
prefer something like "Firebird 3 is out! Renewed architecture, 100500
new features, countless bugfixes."

(*) Remove "Read More" links from case studies. Make the digest text
itself being an URL.

Dmitry

Re: Main page redesign

Mariuz
Feedback from Arthur Nagy

You should add break-points (media query) for when the browser width goes under 250px~. Otherwise on smaller devices you need to swipe in order to get to the content on the right (sidebar).

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 7:34 PM, Alexey Kovyazin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

The first iteration is ready
http://md186.dqteam.com/en/start/

Please give some feedback.

Regards,
Alexey

17.05.2016 18:24, Dmitry Yemanov:
> Alexey et al,
>
> Maybe somewhat beyond the intended redesign, but anyway:
>
> 1) More news items than just last three. Preferrably in the short form
> (only date + title), maybe except the top one (as full text).
>
> 2) We should think about adding "Community News" parallel to "Project
> News", maybe maintained by Carlos and other "newsmakers" directly (thus
> deprecating firebirdnews.org). Or get their permission to mirror
> community news on firebirdsql.org.
>
> 3) I believe we should remove the tabs (Get Started / Stay in Touch /
> Contribute). That was my idea but now I don't think it works as
> expected. As for "Stay In Touch", I propose to remove it completely,
> instead I'll improve the /en/development/ page. Others could be
> re-implemented as separate pages somehow linked from the main page.
>
> 3) Left-side banners (Join / Follow Us / Newsletter) should be reworked
> to become smaller, down to just icon/button with hyperlink, and maybe
> moved elsewhere. Currently they don't work good on any page with
> contents - ugly looking below the left-side menu, sometimes fully or
> partially invisible without scrolling.
>
> 4) The same for the top-side banners on contents pages (Latest Release /
> Contribute / Tracker). They're well visible but take too much space.
>
> 5) Remove grey-line borders around page contents.
>

> Dmitry

Re: Main page redesign

Mark Rotteveel-2
1. Font is too big for for my taste on desktop and laptop, and actually
still quite small on a mobile device. A quick scan of the CSS seems to
indicate that it doesn't use responsive CSS; consider varying at least
the fontsize a bit.

2. Move the date below the title of the news item. I think the newsitem
itself is more important than the date it was published

3. Can't we just remove those twitter & facebook buttons. I don't see
their value.

4. It is existing content, but I find the Firebird 3 "New SQL Features"
a bit unbalanced. I would expect the text Firebird (and the logo) to be
bigger (eg the full width), while the "New SQL Features" should be a few
points smaller than the text Firebird.

5. Removing the banner with Welcome, etc is ok. But consider putting
the content of Get started and Contribute (and maybe Stay in touch)
elsewhere on the site and linking to it from the sidebar (between latest
releases and case studies).

6. Personally, I'd like the menubar to get a makeover as well, but I
don't think that has priority.

As a side note, I was a bit surprised to see "/* --- IBSurgeon
subscribe --- */" in the css ;)

Mark

On 2016-05-26 17:34, Alexey Kovyazin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The first iteration is ready
> http://md186.dqteam.com/en/start/
>
> Please give some feedback.
>
> Regards,
> Alexey
>

> 17.05.2016 18:24, Dmitry Yemanov:
>> Alexey et al,
>>
>> Maybe somewhat beyond the intended redesign, but anyway:
>>
>> 1) More news items than just last three. Preferrably in the short
>> form
>> (only date + title), maybe except the top one (as full text).
>>
>> 2) We should think about adding "Community News" parallel to
>> "Project
>> News", maybe maintained by Carlos and other "newsmakers" directly
>> (thus
>> deprecating firebirdnews.org). Or get their permission to mirror
>> community news on firebirdsql.org.
>>
>> 3) I believe we should remove the tabs (Get Started / Stay in Touch
>> /
>> Contribute). That was my idea but now I don't think it works as
>> expected. As for "Stay In Touch", I propose to remove it completely,
>> instead I'll improve the /en/development/ page. Others could be
>> re-implemented as separate pages somehow linked from the main page.
>>
>> 3) Left-side banners (Join / Follow Us / Newsletter) should be
>> reworked
>> to become smaller, down to just icon/button with hyperlink, and
>> maybe
>> moved elsewhere. Currently they don't work good on any page with
>> contents - ugly looking below the left-side menu, sometimes fully or
>> partially invisible without scrolling.
>>
>> 4) The same for the top-side banners on contents pages (Latest
>> Release /
>> Contribute / Tracker). They're well visible but take too much space.
>>
>> 5) Remove grey-line borders around page contents.
>>

>> Dmitry

>> Mobile security can be enabling, not merely restricting. Employees
>> who
>> bring their own devices (BYOD) to work are irked by the imposition
>> of MDM
>> restrictions. Mobile Device Manager Plus allows you to control only
>> the
>> apps on BYO-devices by containerizing them, leaving personal data
>> untouched!
>> https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/304595813;131938128;j

> Mobile security can be enabling, not merely restricting. Employees
> who
> bring their own devices (BYOD) to work are irked by the imposition of
> MDM
> restrictions. Mobile Device Manager Plus allows you to control only
> the
> apps on BYO-devices by containerizing them, leaving personal data
> untouched!

Re: Main page redesign

Alexey Kovyazin-2
Hi
> As a side note, I was a bit surprised to see "/* --- IBSurgeon
> subscribe --- */" in the css ;)

Designer is the same, as for our own web-sites - ib-aid.com, ibase.ru
:)

I am totally agree that mobile view should be designed separately - in
2010, when this design was created, there was no good experience for
mobile browsers.

Regards,
Alexey

Re: Main page redesign

Mark Rotteveel-2
On 2016-05-26 21:07, Alexey Kovyazin wrote:

> Hi
>> As a side note, I was a bit surprised to see "/* --- IBSurgeon
>> subscribe --- */" in the css ;)
>

> Designer is the same, as for our own web-sites - ib-aid.com, ibase.ru
> :)
>
> I am totally agree that mobile view should be designed separately -
> in
> 2010, when this design was created, there was no good experience for
> mobile browsers.

I don't think there should be a separate mobile view, but a responsive
design that moves components, changes sizes and maybe hides some
elements based on the viewport size (this also keeps the page well
rendered if you open it (for example) in a reduced browser window..

Mark

Re: Main page redesign

Alexey Kovyazin-2
Hi All,

After 3 months... let's continue with it.
md186.dqteam.com
firebird/firebird

Please check both desktop and mobile versions.

Regards,
Alexey

> On 2016-05-26 21:07, Alexey Kovyazin wrote:
>> Hi
>>> As a side note, I was a bit surprised to see "/* --- IBSurgeon
>>> subscribe --- */" in the css ;)
>>
>> Designer is the same, as for our own web-sites - ib-aid.com, ibase.ru
>> :)
>>
>> I am totally agree that mobile view should be designed separately -
>> in
>> 2010, when this design was created, there was no good experience for
>> mobile browsers.
> I don't think there should be a separate mobile view, but a responsive
> design that moves components, changes sizes and maybe hides some
> elements based on the viewport size (this also keeps the page well
> rendered if you open it (for example) in a reduced browser window..
>
> Mark

Re: Main page redesign

Dmitry Yemanov-3
24.08.2016 16:43, Alexey Kovyazin wrote:

> After 3 months... let's continue with it.
> md186.dqteam.com
> firebird/firebird
>
> Please check both desktop and mobile versions.

Is it intended that the new version is already deployed to production?

Dmitry

Re: Main page redesign

Dmitry Yemanov-3
24.08.2016 16:43, Alexey Kovyazin wrote:

> After 3 months... let's continue with it.
> md186.dqteam.com
> firebird/firebird

I think we need some horizontal bar on the top, between "You are here"
and the page contents. But not a tall one with tabs/pages like we had
before, rather a shorter one implemented as direct hyper-links to some
"hot" pages, e.g.:

You are here: Home > Documentation > Release Notes
Donate (*) | Issue Tracker | Roadmap | @ GitHub | etc
<page contents>

i.e. links to 4-5 most visited (or most desired to visit) pages. To
avoid visual confusion with the main menu, they could be rendered
graphically or include small icons along with text or something like that.

(*) I see "Join Firebird!" at the bottom, but given this is about
collecting money it should rather be more visible and located at the top.

Maybe this new top bar should be visible at the every page, not just the
main page.

In this case, page-level top banners "Contributing to Firebird" and
"Tracker" can be removed, together with "Latest Release" (I don't see
much sense in this one).

Also perhaps it's worth removing left-side banners "Join Firebird!" and
"Follow Us" (already duplicated with bottom buttons), "Subscribe to
Newsletter" perhaps could also be moved to the new top bar. But I doubt
how good the left-side menu will look like in this case.

Dmitry

Re: Main page redesign

Jiří Činčura-2
I would remove the whole "Contact Us/Site Map/Search" part. It's taking
space for no IMO real value.

The main navigation bar contains IMO too much links.
  - i.e. About Firebird and Documentation could be under one link,
  similar with Support/Community/Development
  - Case Studies are already in right panel

I really don't see "mobile" version. If something like that exists in
2016. I would rather like to see responsive design/layout.

Are we talking only about the home page? Or other pages as well?

--
Mgr. Jiří Činčura
Independent IT Specialist

Re: Main page redesign

Alexey Kovyazin-2

>Please check both desktop and mobile versions.
>Is it intended that the new version is already deployed to production?

Yes. Right now Google actively downgrades positions of sites with low score for mobile view.

It was 54/100, now 70/100
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffirebirdsql.org&tab=mobile

There are many things to fix yet, of course, but now it is in yellow zone, not red.

Regards,
Alexey

Re: Main page redesign

Jiří Činčura-2
> It was 54/100, now 70/100
> https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffirebirdsql.org&tab=mobile

This might be interesting for you as well:
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffirebirdsql.org%2F
.

--
Mgr. Jiří Činčura
Independent IT Specialist

Re: Main page redesign

Alexey Kovyazin-2
Hi Dmitry, Jiri,

I think we should seriously shrink the top menu and banners, and put in
top menu only links which are really important for us - that we really
want to be clicked, not just "good to have".

Other things should be accessed through search or extended left menu on
level-2 pages.

> - i.e. About Firebird and Documentation could be under one link,

Jiri, I tend to agree that About Firebird is pretty useless, and it will be fine if logos and licenses will be under Documentation.

However, Documentation itself should be tweaked - the entrance page for Documentation looks confusing (even for me), so any suggestions specifically for Documentation are welcome (but let's start separate thread for it).

> similar with Support/Community/Development

This is more complex.
If you can provide a good word to put Support, Community and Development under the single umbrella, please propose it.

> - Case Studies are already in right panel

agree.
I must admit that case studies project occurred to be much more complex, since it is unbelievably difficult to convince end-users to fill out the template of case study. In the future we will change the focus to testimonials instead. It also requires separate thread to discuss.

>I think we need some horizontal bar on the top, between "You are here"
>and the page contents. But not a tall one with tabs/pages like we had
>before, rather a shorter one implemented as direct hyper-links to some
>"hot" pages, e.g.:

>Donate (*) | Issue Tracker | Roadmap | @ GitHub | etc

Dmitry, I think we'd better make these links (+ Download) as top menu, and put the tree-view structure of the site to the detailed left menu on level 2 pages.

> (*) I see "Join Firebird!" at the bottom, but given this is about
> collecting money it should rather be more visible and located at the top.

Now Join Firebird leads to Become a member of Foundation, there are several steps before money, so probably Donate and Join Firebird are different.
Certainly we can try to implement Join Firebird in several visible places, and check what will be the conversions to the new members.

>In this case, page-level top banners "Contributing to Firebird" and
>"Tracker" can be removed, together with "Latest Release" (I don't see
>much sense in this one).

I think that these banners should be removed anyway - they only pollute the attention and make navigation more complex.

Regards,
Alexey

Regards,
Alexey

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016, at 10:56, Alexey Kovyazin wrote:
> However, Documentation itself should be tweaked - the entrance page for
> Documentation looks confusing (even for me), so any suggestions
> specifically for Documentation are welcome (but let's start separate
> thread for it).

Agreed. The documentation is - for seasonal visitor - pretty confusing,
I think.

> This is more complex.
> If you can provide a good word to put Support, Community and Development
> under the single umbrella, please propose it.

I think Support is fine. Developers will find what they need eventually,
maybe even directly landing on Github, instead of our web. I think the
Support might look good for businesses looking mature product. Or
evaluating some. In Support the Community can be as well. At least the
help/support part.

To be fair I don't even know what I should expect in Community -
comunity of Firebird hackers?, users?, community help, community
resources, ???

> Now Join Firebird leads to Become a member of Foundation, there are
> several steps before money, so probably Donate and Join Firebird are
> different.
> Certainly we can try to implement Join Firebird in several visible
> places, and check what will be the conversions to the new members.

Simple PayPal button?

--
Mgr. Jiří Činčura
Independent IT Specialist

Re: Main page redesign

Jiří Činčura-2
BTW the new bigger font looks ugly. Even untrained eye of me can
immediately spot the font size is not in par with other parts of the
size and the design looks like it's cracking. Not mentioning that it's
inconsistent thorough the site - sometimes the original smaller one pops
up.

--
Mgr. Jiří Činčura
Independent IT Specialist

Re: Main page redesign

Dmitry Yemanov-3
28.08.2016 09:48, Jiří Činčura wrote:

> BTW the new bigger font looks ugly. Even untrained eye of me can
> immediately spot the font size is not in par with other parts of the
> size and the design looks like it's cracking. Not mentioning that it's
> inconsistent thorough the site - sometimes the original smaller one pops
> up.

Agreed.

Dmitry

123