MS Office compatability

Dave Albiston-2
My client is unsuccessful in connecting to the database using the ODBC
driver. I have tested the driver on all my machines and it works.

Reading up on this, I discovered that MS Office (and other MS products)
install a different set of MDAC components. On the MS knowledgebase, I
discovered this:

"With so many recent MDAC releases, applications have experienced
version incompatibility issues under certain circumstances."

All my client's machines have MS Office installed, but I don't use it.
Is the Firebird driver compatable with MS Office?
--

Dave Albiston

Cairngorm Software Ltd

Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

Re: MS Office compatability

Olaf Kluge

Hello Dave,

since Microsoft Windows XP, MDAC 2.8 is integrated. In Windows 2000 you need
to install the MDAC manually.

We use Microsoft Office, especially Access to connect to firebird. I have
tested the gemini-odbc-driver, also the firebird-odbc-driver and both works
very well within all me known firebird-versions.

You can use ODBC with all Applications using ODBC. With the
odbc-driver-manager you can test the connection to firebird.

Best regards, Olaf
_____________________

My client is unsuccessful in connecting to the database using the ODBC
driver. I have tested the driver on all my machines and it works.

Reading up on this, I discovered that MS Office (and other MS products)
install a different set of MDAC components. On the MS knowledgebase, I
discovered this:

"With so many recent MDAC releases, applications have experienced version
incompatibility issues under certain circumstances."

All my client's machines have MS Office installed, but I don't use it.
Is the Firebird driver compatable with MS Office?
--

Dave Albiston

Cairngorm Software Ltd

Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

Re: MS Office compatability

Dave Albiston-2
Thanks Olaf

Can you confirm that you are using MS Office with the latest version
(RC2) of the Firebird driver.

I am looking for an explanation why the driver works perfectly on my
machine but fails to connect on the client's desktop machines which have
MS Office installed. It works on their server which does not have MS
Office. The connection string and user details are all correct.

On 22/03/11 11:43, Olaf Kluge wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> since Microsoft Windows XP, MDAC 2.8 is integrated. In Windows 2000 you need
> to install the MDAC manually.
>
> We use Microsoft Office, especially Access to connect to firebird. I have
> tested the gemini-odbc-driver, also the firebird-odbc-driver and both works
> very well within all me known firebird-versions.
>
> You can use ODBC with all Applications using ODBC. With the
> odbc-driver-manager you can test the connection to firebird.
>
> Best regards, Olaf
> _____________________
>

> My client is unsuccessful in connecting to the database using the ODBC
> driver. I have tested the driver on all my machines and it works.
>
> Reading up on this, I discovered that MS Office (and other MS products)
> install a different set of MDAC components. On the MS knowledgebase, I
> discovered this:
>
> "With so many recent MDAC releases, applications have experienced version
> incompatibility issues under certain circumstances."
>
> All my client's machines have MS Office installed, but I don't use it.
> Is the Firebird driver compatable with MS Office?

--

Dave Albiston

Cairngorm Software Ltd

Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

Re: MS Office compatability

Olaf Kluge

Hello,

yes, I have testet it with firebird odbc 2.0.0.150. I use two connections to
firebird. All tables are connected to a system.dsn, stored procedures with
an ADO-connection.

What operating sytem you are using on your clients? 32 or 64bit? Can you
connect with the ODBC-DSN (Test-Button).

Olaf

Thanks Olaf

Can you confirm that you are using MS Office with the latest version
(RC2) of the Firebird driver.

I am looking for an explanation why the driver works perfectly on my machine
but fails to connect on the client's desktop machines which have MS Office
installed. It works on their server which does not have MS Office. The
connection string and user details are all correct.

On 22/03/11 11:43, Olaf Kluge wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> since Microsoft Windows XP, MDAC 2.8 is integrated. In Windows 2000
> you need to install the MDAC manually.
>
> We use Microsoft Office, especially Access to connect to firebird. I
> have tested the gemini-odbc-driver, also the firebird-odbc-driver and
> both works very well within all me known firebird-versions.
>
> You can use ODBC with all Applications using ODBC. With the
> odbc-driver-manager you can test the connection to firebird.
>
> Best regards, Olaf
> _____________________
>

> My client is unsuccessful in connecting to the database using the ODBC
> driver. I have tested the driver on all my machines and it works.
>
> Reading up on this, I discovered that MS Office (and other MS
> products) install a different set of MDAC components. On the MS
> knowledgebase, I discovered this:
>
> "With so many recent MDAC releases, applications have experienced
> version incompatibility issues under certain circumstances."
>
> All my client's machines have MS Office installed, but I don't use it.
> Is the Firebird driver compatable with MS Office?

--

Dave Albiston

Cairngorm Software Ltd

Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

Re: MS Office compatability

Olaf Kluge

If you are using the odbc-direct-function in your office-application, since
2007 this function was removed.

Till later than.

Olaf

_____________________
Thank Olaf

I'll check with my client. They are 4 hours ahead of me so I will have to
wait for a response until tomorrow. I am pretty sure it is XP 32 bit.
I am not sure which version of Office they have - probably 2007.

On 22/03/11 14:43, Olaf Kluge wrote:

> Hello,
>
> yes, I have testet it with firebird odbc 2.0.0.150. I use two
> connections to firebird. All tables are connected to a system.dsn,
> stored procedures with an ADO-connection.
>
> What operating sytem you are using on your clients? 32 or 64bit? Can
> you connect with the ODBC-DSN (Test-Button).
>
> Olaf
>
> Thanks Olaf
>
> Can you confirm that you are using MS Office with the latest version
> (RC2) of the Firebird driver.
>
> I am looking for an explanation why the driver works perfectly on my
> machine but fails to connect on the client's desktop machines which
> have MS Office installed. It works on their server which does not have
> MS Office. The connection string and user details are all correct.
>
> On 22/03/11 11:43, Olaf Kluge wrote:
>>
>> Hello Dave,
>>
>> since Microsoft Windows XP, MDAC 2.8 is integrated. In Windows 2000
>> you need to install the MDAC manually.
>>
>> We use Microsoft Office, especially Access to connect to firebird. I
>> have tested the gemini-odbc-driver, also the firebird-odbc-driver and
>> both works very well within all me known firebird-versions.
>>
>> You can use ODBC with all Applications using ODBC. With the
>> odbc-driver-manager you can test the connection to firebird.
>>
>> Best regards, Olaf
>> _____________________
>>

>> My client is unsuccessful in connecting to the database using the
>> ODBC driver. I have tested the driver on all my machines and it works.
>>
>> Reading up on this, I discovered that MS Office (and other MS
>> products) install a different set of MDAC components. On the MS
>> knowledgebase, I discovered this:
>>
>> "With so many recent MDAC releases, applications have experienced
>> version incompatibility issues under certain circumstances."
>>
>> All my client's machines have MS Office installed, but I don't use it.
>> Is the Firebird driver compatable with MS Office?

--

Dave Albiston

Cairngorm Software Ltd

Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

Re: MS Office compatability

Dave Albiston-2
Hi Olaf

My client is using 32 bit XP with Office 2003 and Office 2007. At the
moment we are just trying to set up the ODBC connection but the Test
Connection button always fails.

A delphi application (using IBX components) is working so we know the
connection string and login credentials are correct and that the link
from the Firebird client to the server is OK.

Is there some way to trace the cause of the failure with ODBC?

On 22/03/11 14:43, Olaf Kluge wrote:

> Hello,
>
> yes, I have testet it with firebird odbc 2.0.0.150. I use two connections to
> firebird. All tables are connected to a system.dsn, stored procedures with
> an ADO-connection.
>
> What operating sytem you are using on your clients? 32 or 64bit? Can you
> connect with the ODBC-DSN (Test-Button).
>
> Olaf
>
> Thanks Olaf
>
> Can you confirm that you are using MS Office with the latest version
> (RC2) of the Firebird driver.
>
> I am looking for an explanation why the driver works perfectly on my machine
> but fails to connect on the client's desktop machines which have MS Office
> installed. It works on their server which does not have MS Office. The
> connection string and user details are all correct.
>
> On 22/03/11 11:43, Olaf Kluge wrote:
>>
>> Hello Dave,
>>
>> since Microsoft Windows XP, MDAC 2.8 is integrated. In Windows 2000
>> you need to install the MDAC manually.
>>
>> We use Microsoft Office, especially Access to connect to firebird. I
>> have tested the gemini-odbc-driver, also the firebird-odbc-driver and
>> both works very well within all me known firebird-versions.
>>
>> You can use ODBC with all Applications using ODBC. With the
>> odbc-driver-manager you can test the connection to firebird.
>>
>> Best regards, Olaf
>> _____________________
>>

>> My client is unsuccessful in connecting to the database using the ODBC
>> driver. I have tested the driver on all my machines and it works.
>>
>> Reading up on this, I discovered that MS Office (and other MS
>> products) install a different set of MDAC components. On the MS
>> knowledgebase, I discovered this:
>>
>> "With so many recent MDAC releases, applications have experienced
>> version incompatibility issues under certain circumstances."
>>
>> All my client's machines have MS Office installed, but I don't use it.
>> Is the Firebird driver compatable with MS Office?

--

Dave Albiston

Cairngorm Software Ltd

Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

Re: MS Office compatability

Bart Smissaert
Have been using the Phoenix ODBC driver with various Office versions
for years and no problem.
Find that if there is any trouble it usually is a faulty connection string.
What is the connection string you are using?

RBS

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Dave Albiston
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Olaf
>
> My client is using 32 bit XP with Office 2003 and Office 2007. At the
> moment we are just trying to set up the ODBC connection but the Test
> Connection button always fails.
>
> A delphi application (using IBX components) is working so we know the
> connection string and login credentials are correct and that the link
> from the Firebird client to the server is OK.
>
> Is there some way to trace the cause of the failure with ODBC?
>
> On 22/03/11 14:43, Olaf Kluge wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> yes, I have testet it with firebird odbc 2.0.0.150. I use two connections to
>> firebird. All tables are connected to a system.dsn, stored procedures with
>> an ADO-connection.
>>
>> What operating sytem you are using on your clients? 32 or 64bit? Can you
>> connect with the ODBC-DSN (Test-Button).
>>
>> Olaf
>>
>> Thanks Olaf
>>
>> Can you confirm that you are using MS Office with the latest version
>> (RC2) of the Firebird driver.
>>
>> I am looking for an explanation why the driver works perfectly on my machine
>> but fails to connect on the client's desktop machines which have MS Office
>> installed. It works on their server which does not have MS Office. The
>> connection string and user details are all correct.
>>
>> On 22/03/11 11:43, Olaf Kluge wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Dave,
>>>
>>> since Microsoft Windows XP, MDAC 2.8 is integrated. In Windows 2000
>>> you need to install the MDAC manually.
>>>
>>> We use Microsoft Office, especially Access to connect to firebird. I
>>> have tested the gemini-odbc-driver, also the firebird-odbc-driver and
>>> both works very well within all me known firebird-versions.
>>>
>>> You can use ODBC with all Applications using ODBC. With the
>>> odbc-driver-manager you can test the connection to firebird.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Olaf
>>> _____________________
>>>

>>> My client is unsuccessful in connecting to the database using the ODBC
>>> driver. I have tested the driver on all my machines and it works.
>>>
>>> Reading up on this, I discovered that MS Office (and other MS
>>> products) install a different set of MDAC components. On the MS
>>> knowledgebase, I discovered this:
>>>
>>> "With so many recent MDAC releases, applications have experienced
>>> version incompatibility issues under certain circumstances."
>>>
>>> All my client's machines have MS Office installed, but I don't use it.
>>> Is the Firebird driver compatable with MS Office?
>>

> --
>
> Dave Albiston
>
> Cairngorm Software Ltd
>
> Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
> Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

Re: MS Office compatability

Dave Albiston-2
Hi Bart

We are using server_name:alias_name. It work fine with the my Delphi
application so I think it can be ruled out as the cause of the problem.

We are not using Office to connect. At the moment we are just trying to
set up the System dsn but the Test connection button always fails.

I was under the impression that Office installs a different set of MDAC
components but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

On 23/03/11 08:39, Bart Smissaert wrote:

> Have been using the Phoenix ODBC driver with various Office versions
> for years and no problem.
> Find that if there is any trouble it usually is a faulty connection string.
> What is the connection string you are using?
>
> RBS
>

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Dave Albiston
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi Olaf
>>
>> My client is using 32 bit XP with Office 2003 and Office 2007. At the
>> moment we are just trying to set up the ODBC connection but the Test
>> Connection button always fails.
>>
>> A delphi application (using IBX components) is working so we know the
>> connection string and login credentials are correct and that the link
>> from the Firebird client to the server is OK.
>>
>> Is there some way to trace the cause of the failure with ODBC?
>>
>> On 22/03/11 14:43, Olaf Kluge wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> yes, I have testet it with firebird odbc 2.0.0.150. I use two connections to
>>> firebird. All tables are connected to a system.dsn, stored procedures with
>>> an ADO-connection.
>>>
>>> What operating sytem you are using on your clients? 32 or 64bit? Can you
>>> connect with the ODBC-DSN (Test-Button).
>>>
>>> Olaf
>>>
>>> Thanks Olaf
>>>
>>> Can you confirm that you are using MS Office with the latest version
>>> (RC2) of the Firebird driver.
>>>
>>> I am looking for an explanation why the driver works perfectly on my machine
>>> but fails to connect on the client's desktop machines which have MS Office
>>> installed. It works on their server which does not have MS Office. The
>>> connection string and user details are all correct.

>> --
>>
>> Dave Albiston
>>
>> Cairngorm Software Ltd
>>
>> Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
>> Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

Dave Albiston

Cairngorm Software Ltd

Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

Re: MS Office compatability

Marco Held-2
Hello Dave,

when pressing the Test button, do you get any error message? Please send us
all your settings you filled in to the configuration of the ODBC DSN.

Regards, Marco

Marco Held

phone: +49 271 77202 27
e-mail:  [hidden email]

demig Prozessautomatisierung GmbH – www.demig.de – [hidden email]
Haardtstraße 40 – D-57076 Siegen – Tel. +49 271 77202 0  –  Fax +49 271
77202 92
Registergericht Siegen HRB 2819 – Geschäftsführer Joachim Herbst, Winfried
Held

We are using server_name:alias_name. It work fine with the my Delphi
application so I think it can be ruled out as the cause of the problem.

We are not using Office to connect. At the moment we are just trying to
set up the System dsn but the Test connection button always fails.

I was under the impression that Office installs a different set of MDAC
components but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

On 23/03/11 08:39, Bart Smissaert wrote:
> Have been using the Phoenix ODBC driver with various Office versions
> for years and no problem.
> Find that if there is any trouble it usually is a faulty connection
string.

> What is the connection string you are using?
>
> RBS
>

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Dave Albiston
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi Olaf
>>
>> My client is using 32 bit XP with Office 2003 and Office 2007. At the
>> moment we are just trying to set up the ODBC connection but the Test
>> Connection button always fails.
>>
>> A delphi application (using IBX components) is working so we know the
>> connection string and login credentials are correct and that the link
>> from the Firebird client to the server is OK.
>>
>> Is there some way to trace the cause of the failure with ODBC?
>>
>> On 22/03/11 14:43, Olaf Kluge wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> yes, I have testet it with firebird odbc 2.0.0.150. I use two
connections to
>>> firebird. All tables are connected to a system.dsn, stored procedures
with

>>> an ADO-connection.
>>>
>>> What operating sytem you are using on your clients? 32 or 64bit? Can you
>>> connect with the ODBC-DSN (Test-Button).
>>>
>>> Olaf
>>>
>>> Thanks Olaf
>>>
>>> Can you confirm that you are using MS Office with the latest version
>>> (RC2) of the Firebird driver.
>>>
>>> I am looking for an explanation why the driver works perfectly on my
machine
>>> but fails to connect on the client's desktop machines which have MS
Office

>>> installed. It works on their server which does not have MS Office. The
>>> connection string and user details are all correct.

>> --
>>
>> Dave Albiston
>>
>> Cairngorm Software Ltd
>>
>> Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
>> Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

>> Enable your software for Intel(R) Active Management Technology to meet
the
>> growing manageability and security demands of your customers. Businesses
>> are taking advantage of Intel(R) vPro (TM) technology - will your
software
>> be a part of the solution? Download the Intel(R) Manageability Checker
>> today! http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmar

Dave Albiston

Cairngorm Software Ltd

Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

Re: MS Office compatability

bill lam-2
I don't think ms office will intervene or there is any newer version of
mdac later then 2.8.  try use another format such as ip-number:alias_name

If you really suspect ms office is the problem, you may un-install office
and test.

Срд, 23 Мар 2011, Dave Albiston писал(а):

> Hi Bart
>
> We are using server_name:alias_name. It work fine with the my Delphi
> application so I think it can be ruled out as the cause of the problem.
>
> We are not using Office to connect. At the moment we are just trying to
> set up the System dsn but the Test connection button always fails.
>
> I was under the impression that Office installs a different set of MDAC
> components but that doesn't seem to be an issue.
>
> On 23/03/11 08:39, Bart Smissaert wrote:
> > Have been using the Phoenix ODBC driver with various Office versions
> > for years and no problem.
> > Find that if there is any trouble it usually is a faulty connection string.
> > What is the connection string you are using?
> >
> > RBS
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Dave Albiston
> > <[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >> Hi Olaf
> >>
> >> My client is using 32 bit XP with Office 2003 and Office 2007. At the
> >> moment we are just trying to set up the ODBC connection but the Test
> >> Connection button always fails.
> >>
> >> A delphi application (using IBX components) is working so we know the
> >> connection string and login credentials are correct and that the link
> >> from the Firebird client to the server is OK.
> >>
> >> Is there some way to trace the cause of the failure with ODBC?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Dave Albiston
> >>
> >> Cairngorm Software Ltd
> >>
> >> Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
> >> Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

> Dave Albiston
>
> Cairngorm Software Ltd
>
> Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
> Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

Re: MS Office compatability

bill lam
I don't think ms office will intervene or there is any newer version of
mdac later then 2.8.  try use another format such as ip-number:alias_name

If you really suspect ms office is the problem, you may un-install office
and test.

Срд, 23 Мар 2011, Dave Albiston писал(а):

> Hi Bart
>
> We are using server_name:alias_name. It work fine with the my Delphi
> application so I think it can be ruled out as the cause of the problem.
>
> We are not using Office to connect. At the moment we are just trying to
> set up the System dsn but the Test connection button always fails.
>
> I was under the impression that Office installs a different set of MDAC
> components but that doesn't seem to be an issue.
>
> On 23/03/11 08:39, Bart Smissaert wrote:
> > Have been using the Phoenix ODBC driver with various Office versions
> > for years and no problem.
> > Find that if there is any trouble it usually is a faulty connection string.
> > What is the connection string you are using?
> >
> > RBS
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Dave Albiston
> > <[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >> Hi Olaf
> >>
> >> My client is using 32 bit XP with Office 2003 and Office 2007. At the
> >> moment we are just trying to set up the ODBC connection but the Test
> >> Connection button always fails.
> >>
> >> A delphi application (using IBX components) is working so we know the
> >> connection string and login credentials are correct and that the link
> >> from the Firebird client to the server is OK.
> >>
> >> Is there some way to trace the cause of the failure with ODBC?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Dave Albiston
> >>
> >> Cairngorm Software Ltd
> >>
> >> Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
> >> Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

> Dave Albiston
>
> Cairngorm Software Ltd
>
> Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
> Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

Re: MS Office compatability

Olaf Kluge
Hello,

if the dsn-connection-test fails, the office-applications cannot connect.

For example the firebird odbc settings:

Dsn: DSNNAME
Database: SERVERNAME:LW:Path (f.e. server:d:\interbase\datenbank.fdb)
Client: C:\Programme\Firebird\Firebird_2_5\bin\fbclient.dll
Database Account: SYSDBA
Password: masterkey
Character Set: ISO8859_1
Dialect: 3

What error message do you get?

Olaf

_________________________

I don't think ms office will intervene or there is any newer version of mdac later then 2.8.  try use another format such as ip-number:alias_name

If you really suspect ms office is the problem, you may un-install office and test.

Срд, 23 Мар 2011, Dave Albiston писал(а):

> Hi Bart
>
> We are using server_name:alias_name. It work fine with the my Delphi
> application so I think it can be ruled out as the cause of the problem.
>
> We are not using Office to connect. At the moment we are just trying
> to set up the System dsn but the Test connection button always fails.
>
> I was under the impression that Office installs a different set of
> MDAC components but that doesn't seem to be an issue.
>
> On 23/03/11 08:39, Bart Smissaert wrote:
> > Have been using the Phoenix ODBC driver with various Office versions
> > for years and no problem.
> > Find that if there is any trouble it usually is a faulty connection string.
> > What is the connection string you are using?
> >
> > RBS
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Dave Albiston
> > <[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >> Hi Olaf
> >>
> >> My client is using 32 bit XP with Office 2003 and Office 2007. At
> >> the moment we are just trying to set up the ODBC connection but the
> >> Test Connection button always fails.
> >>
> >> A delphi application (using IBX components) is working so we know
> >> the connection string and login credentials are correct and that
> >> the link from the Firebird client to the server is OK.
> >>
> >> Is there some way to trace the cause of the failure with ODBC?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Dave Albiston
> >>
> >> Cairngorm Software Ltd
> >>
> >> Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
> >> Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

> Dave Albiston
>
> Cairngorm Software Ltd
>
> Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
> Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

Enable your software for Intel(R) Active Management Technology to meet the growing manageability and security demands of your customers. Businesses are taking advantage of Intel(R) vPro (TM) technology - will your software be a part of the solution? Download the Intel(R) Manageability Checker today! http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmar

Re: MS Office compatability

Dave Albiston-2
Hi there

The configuration settings are correct. We proved it by setting up a dsn
on the actual database server with the same settings and it worked.

It does not work on the workstations. But the same settings are used in
a delphi application running on the workstations which connects without
a problem.

Judging by the feedback on this thread, it sounds like MS Office is not
an issue.

Is there a way to investigate why I get the

"Open database 'server_name:alias_name' failed"

Is there a trace log of some kind? There appears to be something
peculiar about my client's PCs. The driver works on everything else I
have tested it on.

On 23/03/11 10:10, Marco Held wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> when pressing the Test button, do you get any error message? Please send us
> all your settings you filled in to the configuration of the ODBC DSN.
>
> Regards, Marco
>

> Marco Held
>
> phone: +49 271 77202 27
> e-mail:  [hidden email]
>

> demig Prozessautomatisierung GmbH – www.demig.de – [hidden email]
> Haardtstraße 40 – D-57076 Siegen – Tel. +49 271 77202 0  –  Fax +49 271
> 77202 92
> Registergericht Siegen HRB 2819 – Geschäftsführer Joachim Herbst, Winfried
> Held

if this works on the server, there is no guarantee that it works on the
client. The server itself takes the database. It is strange, that it works
with your Delphi-application. But these uses not the odbc-dsn.

We don't know your dsn-settings, can it be a problem with the dns-service?
Use you a dns-name for your server or set you the ip-address in your dsn?
Does a firewall block this connection or the port? You can test the
accessibility of the server-name or ip-address by a ping.

You need also to install firebird on your client-pc. (minimal client
installation)

Olaf
___________________

Hi there

The configuration settings are correct. We proved it by setting up a dsn on
the actual database server with the same settings and it worked.

It does not work on the workstations. But the same settings are used in a
delphi application running on the workstations which connects without a
problem.

Judging by the feedback on this thread, it sounds like MS Office is not an
issue.

Is there a way to investigate why I get the

"Open database 'server_name:alias_name' failed"

Is there a trace log of some kind? There appears to be something peculiar
about my client's PCs. The driver works on everything else I have tested it
on.

On 23/03/11 10:10, Marco Held wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> when pressing the Test button, do you get any error message? Please
> send us all your settings you filled in to the configuration of the ODBC
DSN.

> Regards, Marco
>

> Marco Held
>
> phone: +49 271 77202 27
> e-mail:  [hidden email]
>

> demig Prozessautomatisierung GmbH – www.demig.de – [hidden email]
> Haardtstraße 40 – D-57076 Siegen – Tel. +49 271 77202 0  –  Fax +49
> 271
> 77202 92
> Registergericht Siegen HRB 2819 – Geschäftsführer Joachim Herbst,
> Winfried Held

Can you connect in Excel via ADO, ODBC and a DSN-less connection
string with some VBA code?

RBS

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> The configuration settings are correct. We proved it by setting up a dsn
> on the actual database server with the same settings and it worked.
>
> It does not work on the workstations. But the same settings are used in
> a delphi application running on the workstations which connects without
> a problem.
>
> Judging by the feedback on this thread, it sounds like MS Office is not
> an issue.
>
> Is there a way to investigate why I get the
>
> "Open database 'server_name:alias_name' failed"
>
> Is there a trace log of some kind? There appears to be something
> peculiar about my client's PCs. The driver works on everything else I
> have tested it on.
>

> On 23/03/11 10:10, Marco Held wrote:
>> Hello Dave,
>>
>> when pressing the Test button, do you get any error message? Please send us
>> all your settings you filled in to the configuration of the ODBC DSN.
>>
>> Regards, Marco
>>

>> Marco Held
>>
>> phone: +49 271 77202 27
>> e-mail:  [hidden email]
>>

>> demig Prozessautomatisierung GmbH – www.demig.de – [hidden email]
>> Haardtstraße 40 – D-57076 Siegen – Tel. +49 271 77202 0  –  Fax +49 271
>> 77202 92
>> Registergericht Siegen HRB 2819 – Geschäftsführer Joachim Herbst, Winfried
>> Held

Re: MS Office compatability

Dave Albiston-2
I can connect from the workstations without ODBC. So Firebird client is
installed correctly, the connection string and user details are correct
and there is no firewall blocking the port.

But still we cannot connect when setting up the dsn. There is something
peculiar to these machines, but how do I find out what it is?

This thread really has the wrong subject now. MS Office is obviously not
a factor.

On 23/03/11 12:10, Bart Smissaert wrote:

> Can you connect in Excel via ADO, ODBC and a DSN-less connection
> string with some VBA code?
>
> RBS
>

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Dave Albiston
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi there
>>
>> The configuration settings are correct. We proved it by setting up a dsn
>> on the actual database server with the same settings and it worked.
>>
>> It does not work on the workstations. But the same settings are used in
>> a delphi application running on the workstations which connects without
>> a problem.
>>
>> Judging by the feedback on this thread, it sounds like MS Office is not
>> an issue.
>>
>> Is there a way to investigate why I get the
>>
>> "Open database 'server_name:alias_name' failed"
>>
>> Is there a trace log of some kind? There appears to be something
>> peculiar about my client's PCs. The driver works on everything else I
>> have tested it on.
>>

>> On 23/03/11 10:10, Marco Held wrote:
>>> Hello Dave,
>>>
>>> when pressing the Test button, do you get any error message? Please send us
>>> all your settings you filled in to the configuration of the ODBC DSN.
>>>
>>> Regards, Marco
>>>

>>> Marco Held
>>>
>>> phone: +49 271 77202 27
>>> e-mail:  [hidden email]
>>>

>>> demig Prozessautomatisierung GmbH – www.demig.de – [hidden email]
>>> Haardtstraße 40 – D-57076 Siegen – Tel. +49 271 77202 0  –  Fax +49 271
>>> 77202 92
>>> Registergericht Siegen HRB 2819 – Geschäftsführer Joachim Herbst, Winfried
>>> Held

Dave Albiston

Cairngorm Software Ltd

Phone No. +44 (0)1383 729087
Mobile No. +44 (0)7711 904030

Re: MS Office compatability

Bart Smissaert
Could you run this code from VBA in Excel or Word after setting a
reference to ADO (2.8)?
Alter the Dbname and PWD and UID.
Does it connect? It tests the ODBC driver without using a DSN.

Sub TestODBC()

  Dim oADOConn As ADODB.Connection
  Dim strConn As String

  Set oADOConn = New ADODB.Connection

  strConn = "Driver={Firebird/InterBase(r) driver};" & _
            "Dbname=localhost:C:\DB\s6.fdb;" & _
            "PWD=password;" & _
            "UID=username;"

  MsgBox oADOConn.State  'will be 0