Quantcast

LangRef 2.5beta1 - a few more suggestions /4

LangRef 2.5beta1 - a few more suggestions /4

Aage Johansen

p.87
Maybe a few words on the naming of "unnamed" constraints.
create table TEST (
   ID      integer  not null  primary key
)
The user might like to know that 2 constraints are created, called
INTEG_n (f.ex. INTEG_157 (for "not null") and INTEG_158 (for "primary
key")).  And the (unique) index will be named rdb$primaryN (f.ex.
rdb$primary66).

p.104
Index Direction:
Explain why the user might want to have the (non-default) descending index.
Maybe that is more appropriate in an "User's Guide"?

p.107 (Active option: How is it useful?)
from:
... on the indexes of a large table in a database that is
infrequently restored.
to:
... on the indexes of a large table in a database that is frequenty
updated and infrequently restored.
(Maybe not really necessary?)

( I didn't know that ACTIVE will rebuild an active index - good to know! )

Any good advice on using "alter index ..." and "set statistics ..."
when the table is in use?
Is it ok, impossible, adviced against, or an absolute no-no?

p.109
Index Selectivity

Index statistics in Firebird are not automatically recalculated,
either after a lot of data has been modified or under any other conditions.
->
Index statistics in Firebird are not automatically recalculated, not
after data has been modified or under any other conditions.
(I don't like this sentence, but couldn't find a better one)

It may be necessary to recalculate the selectivity of an index after
inserting, updating or deleting a large number of records in the
table, because the selectivity tends to become outdated.
->
It may be advantageous to recalculate ...

p.111
Updateable Views

the SELECT statement contains no ORDER BY or GROUP BY or GROUP BY clause
->
the SELECT statement contains no ORDER BY or GROUP BY clause

Another completely different thing (on comparison operators):
What about varchars with trailing blanks - how do these compare with
chars and varchar (without trailing blanks)?
Maybe this is not stuff for a LangRef, but for "User's Guide" or SQL tutorial?
I have a feeling that this either has been mentioned already or it is
covered already in the LangRef - I just couldn't find it now.