Quantcast

I use firebird 3.0 from debian/ubuntu and i can always crash it

I use firebird 3.0 from debian/ubuntu and i can always crash it

Mariuz
With latest snapshot i always can can crash the ibench1.py

http://www.firebirdsql.org/download/rabbits/pmakowski/ibench1.py

python ibench1.py --db_user=SYSDBA --db_password=masterkey
--db_name=/tmp/test.fdb --setup
#rows #seconds cum_ips last_ips #queries cum_qps last_qps
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ibench1.py", line 388, in <module>
    sys.exit(main([sys.argv[0]] + new_argv))
  File "ibench1.py", line 383, in main
    run_benchmark()
  File "ibench1.py", line 341, in run_benchmark
    create_table()
  File "ibench1.py", line 167, in create_table
    cursor.execute('create index marketsegment on %s (price,
customerid)' % FLAGS.table_name)
kinterbasdb.OperationalError: (-902, 'begin transaction: \n  Error
writing data to the connection.')

And the guardian is restarting the bird

borkstationx64 Thu Dec 16 10:28:43 2010
        /usr/sbin/fbguard: guardian starting /usr/sbin/firebird
borkstationx64 Thu Dec 16 10:59:06 2010
        /usr/sbin/fbguard: /usr/sbin/firebird terminated abnormally (-1)
borkstationx64 Thu Dec 16 10:59:06 2010
        /usr/sbin/fbguard: guardian starting /usr/sbin/firebird

Re: I use firebird 3.0 from debian/ubuntu and i can always crash it

Philippe Makowski
marius adrian popa  [2010-12-16 10:03] :
> With latest snapshot i always can can crash the ibench1.py
That's not an answer to the problem you get, but
I will remove this version of bench,
please use the ones inside svn
http://firebird.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/firebird/qa/trunk/benchmark/
aibench.py , iibench.py  ...

Re: I use firebird 3.0 from debian/ubuntu and i can always crash it

Mariuz
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Philippe Makowski
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> marius adrian popa  [2010-12-16 10:03] :
>> With latest snapshot i always can can crash the ibench1.py
> That's not an answer to the problem you get, but
> I will remove this version of bench,
> please use the ones inside svn
> http://firebird.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/firebird/qa/trunk/benchmark/
> aibench.py , iibench.py  ...
ok
it was just an observation that 3.0 is alawys crashable :)

Re: I use firebird 3.0 from debian/ubuntu and i can always crash it

Alex Peshkoff
 On 12/16/10 12:33, marius adrian popa wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Philippe Makowski
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> marius adrian popa  [2010-12-16 10:03] :
>>> With latest snapshot i always can can crash the ibench1.py
>> That's not an answer to the problem you get, but
>> I will remove this version of bench,
>> please use the ones inside svn
>> http://firebird.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/firebird/qa/trunk/benchmark/
>> aibench.py , iibench.py  ...
> ok
> it was just an observation that 3.0 is alawys crashable :)

I think this is not too strange for Unstable code.

Re: I use firebird 3.0 from debian/ubuntu and i can always crash it

Leyne, Sean

>  On 12/16/10 12:33, marius adrian popa wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Philippe Makowski
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> marius adrian popa  [2010-12-16 10:03] :
> >> That's not an answer to the problem you get, but I will remove this
> >> version of bench, please use the ones inside svn
> >> http://firebird.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/firebird/qa/trunk/benchmar
> >> k/
> >> aibench.py , iibench.py  ...
> > ok
> > it was just an observation that 3.0 is alawys crashable :)
> >
> I think this is not too strange for Unstable code.

Although I think that Marius was a "tad" ambitious to think that v3.0 has appropriate to start to work with, he experience does raise an interesting question...

What should people expect from current v3.0 build?  Should they be testing?  Or is the codebase too rough for that to be practical for the user or beneficial for the team?

Sean

Re: I use firebird 3.0 from debian/ubuntu and i can always crash it

Adriano dos Santos Fernandes-3
On 16/12/2010 14:34, Leyne, Sean wrote:

> Although I think that Marius was a "tad" ambitious to think that v3.0 has appropriate to start to work with, he experience does raise an interesting question...

I think that don't matter. Any bug report is appropriate.

> What should people expect from current v3.0 build?  Should they be testing?  Or is the codebase too rough for that to be practical for the user or beneficial for the team?

Nobody is committing code supposed to crash, even temporary. If we know
problems early, so the better.

Adriano

Re: I use firebird 3.0 from debian/ubuntu and i can always crash it

Dimitry Sibiryakov-3
16.12.2010 17:34, Leyne, Sean wrote:
> Although I think that Marius was a "tad" ambitious to think that v3.0 has appropriate to start to work with, he experience does raise an interesting question...
>
> What should people expect from current v3.0 build?  Should they be testing?  Or is the codebase too rough for that to be practical for the user or beneficial for the team?

   I would say contrary: what is expected from people? I would expect that everybody who
is trying 3.0 and encounter a problem should provide a good report which including
backtrace, crash dump or a ready-to-apply patch.

--
   SY, SD.

Re: I use firebird 3.0 from debian/ubuntu and i can always crash it

Damyan Ivanov-5
-=| Dimitry Sibiryakov, Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 05:39:11PM +0100 |=-
> 16.12.2010 17:34, Leyne, Sean wrote:
> > What should people expect from current v3.0 build?  Should they be
> > testing?  Or is the codebase too rough for that to be practical
> > for the user or beneficial for the team?
>
> I would say contrary: what is expected from people? I would expect
> that everybody who is trying 3.0 and encounter a problem should
> provide a good report which including backtrace, crash dump or
> a ready-to-apply patch.

Related to this, the Debian (and I suppose Ubuntu) packages provide
debugging symbols in the firebird3.0-dbg package. Having it installed
is great for providing good backtraces.

 On 12/16/10 19:39, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> 16.12.2010 17:34, Leyne, Sean wrote:
>> Although I think that Marius was a "tad" ambitious to think that v3.0 has appropriate to start to work with, he experience does raise an interesting question...
>>
>> What should people expect from current v3.0 build?  Should they be testing?  Or is the codebase too rough for that to be practical for the user or beneficial for the team?
>    I would say contrary: what is expected from people? I would expect that everybody who
> is trying 3.0 and encounter a problem should provide a good report which including
> backtrace, crash dump or a ready-to-apply patch.

Always nice to have stack trace (for all threads). It's good idea to
keep core dump and debugging symbols for it. Patch is ideal.

Unfortunately, none of this was present in initial report. Trace for
python has nothing to do with server crash. And say simply 'FB3 crashes'
is definitely not enough to fix something.

No matter of this I plan to try to reproduce a crash - after finishing
with plugin interface.

On 16/12/2010 16:12, Alex Peshkoff wrote:

> Always nice to have stack trace (for all threads). It's good idea to
> keep core dump and debugging symbols for it. Patch is ideal.
>
> Unfortunately, none of this was present in initial report. Trace for
> python has nothing to do with server crash. And say simply 'FB3 crashes'
> is definitely not enough to fix something.

I thought the same initially, but looking at the client trace there is:
     create index marketsegment on %s (price, customerid)

I didn't tested yet, but if that's all to reproduce, there is no need
for anything else.

Adriano

Re: I use firebird 3.0 from debian/ubuntu and i can always crash it

Philippe Makowski
Adriano dos Santos Fernandes  [2010-12-16 19:38] :

> On 16/12/2010 16:12, Alex Peshkoff wrote:
>>
>> Always nice to have stack trace (for all threads). It's good idea to
>> keep core dump and debugging symbols for it. Patch is ideal.
>>
>> Unfortunately, none of this was present in initial report. Trace for
>> python has nothing to do with server crash. And say simply 'FB3 crashes'
>> is definitely not enough to fix something.
>>
> I thought the same initially, but looking at the client trace there is:
>      create index marketsegment on %s (price, customerid)
>
> I didn't tested yet, but if that's all to reproduce, there is no need
> for anything else.
yes in that case under isql it would be :
(sorry, I don't I time to test myself)

recreate table purchases_index (
 transactionid int not null,
 dateandtime timestamp,
 cashregisterid int not null,
 customerid int not null,
 productid int not null,
 price float not null,
 constraint purchases_index_pk primary key (transactionid));
commit;
create sequence purchases_index_S;
SET TERM !!;
create trigger purchases_index_T for purchases_index
 active before insert position 0
 as begin if (new.transactionid is null)
  then new.transactionid = next value for purchases_index_S ;
end
!!
SET TERM ;!!
commit;
create index marketsegment on purchases_index (price, customerid);

On 16-12-2010 17:31, Philippe Makowski wrote:

> SET TERM !!;
> create trigger purchases_index_T for purchases_index
>  active before insert position 0
>  as begin if (new.transactionid is null)
>   then new.transactionid = next value for purchases_index_S ;
> end
> !!

Thanks. The problem was with NEXT VALUE FOR, and is now fixed.

Adriano