How to translate COLLATION into German?

Köditz, Martin

Hi,

just a question for German-speaking people. How would you translate COLLATION or COLLATE? Do we translate this or leave it as it is? Currently I use the German term “Sortierreihenfolge” but I don’t know if this is OK and understandable. So what is your opinion on this?

Regards,

Martin

Re: How to translate COLLATION into German?

Mark Rotteveel-2
On 2016-08-10 10:31, Köditz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just a question for German-speaking people. How would you translate
> COLLATION or COLLATE? Do we translate this or leave it as it is?
> Currently I use the German term "Sortierreihenfolge" but I don't know
> if this is OK and understandable. So what is your opinion on this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin

Interglot[1] suggests:

     collation:
         Vergleich
         ; Gleichung
         ; Gleichnis
         ; Sortierung
     collate:
         gleichstellen
     Wiktionary:
         collation → Kollation
         collate → zuordnen
         , kollationieren
         , mischen
         , vergleichen
         , abgleichen
         collate → stimmen
         , einstellen
         , berichtigen
         , führen
         , leiten
         , lenken

Also take into consideration whether you should translate this term. I
know it is different in German, but in Dutch it is very usual (at least
in the last 10-15 years) to use specific technology terminology
untranslated.

[1]: http://www.interglot.com/dictionary/en/de/search?q=collation&m=

Mark

Re: How to translate COLLATION into German?

Stefan Heymann-2
Martin,

> How would you translate COLLATION or COLLATE? Do we translate this
> or leave it as it is?

In this case I'd suggest to stay with "Collation". A collation is
different from a "sort order" (Sortierreihenfolge). It's more like the
algorithm that "does" the sorting. (Sort order is more the result of
what the collation has done.) Collations are also not only used for
sorting (order by) but also for comparisons (A=B).

"Sortiermethode" would probably fit better, but I would just use the
English term Collation also in the German translations. It would also
make it easier to read English language documentation after one has
read the German one.

Regards

Stefan