Hello from Seattle, WA

james traub
Hello,

My name is James Traub and I would like to volunteer as a documentation reviewer, editor, and writer. I currently live in Seattle, Washington and work for GE Healthcare in a software technical support role. I was a full-time SQL Server database administrator for about 4 years. I am very proficient in the administration and support of Microsoft technologies. I have also written and edited user manuals, release notes, quick start guides, and compatibility lists.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance. Thank you.

James

Re: Hello from Seattle, WA

Köditz, Martin

Hello James,

nice to see other people who want to join the project team.

First of all please have a look in the Firebird Docwriting guide available on the web site. I’m sure you can assist the editors by reviewing some chapters of the “Firebird Language Reference 2.5 (English) Beta 1”.

Also see http://www.mail-archive.com/firebird-docs@.../msg00323.html

I think Helen, Paul and Mark can assign the exact tasks.

Regards

Martin

Re: Hello from Seattle, WA

Mark Rotteveel-2
On 2016-03-18 8:14, Köditz wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> nice to see other people who want to join the project team.

Indeed! Welcome James.

> First of all please have a look in the Firebird Docwriting guide
> available on the web site. I'm sure you can assist the editors by
> reviewing some chapters of the "Firebird Language Reference 2.5
> (English) Beta 1".
>
> Also see
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/firebird-docs@.../msg00323.html
> [1]
>
> I think Helen, Paul and Mark can assign the exact tasks.

I'll leave that to Helen and Paul ;). I just occasionally volunteer my
time if I'm trying to avoid Jaybird related things ;)

Mark

Re: Hello from Seattle, WA

Paul Vinkenoog
Hello James,

> My name is James Traub and I would like to volunteer as a documentation reviewer, editor, and writer. I currently live in Seattle, Washington and work for GE Healthcare in a software technical support role. I was a full-time SQL Server database administrator for about 4 years. I am very proficient in the administration and support of Microsoft technologies. I have also written and edited user manuals, release notes, quick start guides, and compatibility lists.
> Please let me know if I can be of assistance. Thank you.

First, welcome aboard! :-)

In our private emails, you stated that you would be happy helping out with the proofreading of the Language Reference. If that is still the case, I suggest that you first pick up the latest beta here:

  http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/reference_manuals/fblangref25-en/Firebird_Language_Reference_25EN.pdf

  (a multi-page HTML version is available at http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/reference_manuals/fblangref25-en/html/fblangref25.html)

The first four chapters have already been proofread. I'm somewhere in the middle of chapter 5 (DDL). Mark Rotteveel started at the end and has reviewed the Appendices as well as Chapter 10 (Security).

That means chapters 6 (DML) through 9 (Transaction Control) are still up for grabs.

While reviewing, we try to correct English errors *and* technical errors. The latter may be tricky for you because, unlike us, you don't have many years of experience with Firebird SQL (I assume).

The good news is that Firebird adheres pretty strictly to the official SQL standards. However, that alone isn't enough to tell if some statement in a manual is correct or not. One way to tackle this is to look up the relevant sections in the InterBase 6.0 beta LangRef and the Firebird 2.5 LangRef Update. Together, they should describe Firebird 2.5 SQL as it really is.

Of course, these two documents also contain errors and omissions. So they may both be wrong where the Firebird LangRef beta is right. In case of discrepancies (or even vague suspicions) I always test everything in practice. But this takes a lot of time, even for an experienced Firebird developer and documenter. So I wonder if we can ask this from you. Maybe it's better if you concentrate on the English for now, and only investigate/report SQL issues if they really stick out.

Or perhaps you can first read some sections in, say, chapter 6, to get an idea of the material and discuss the best approach after that?

Please know that we're all very glad with the help you're offering and I hope that my rambling doesn't scare you off! ;-)

Cheers,
Paul Vinkenoog

PS:
The Docwriting and Docbuilding guides become relevant as soon as you start writing or editing Docbook sources. But for the LangRef proofreading, we just submit our findings in plaintext to Helen Borrie, who supervises the whole process. So while you can surely have a look at those guides, there's no hurry.

Re: Hello from Seattle, WA

firebirdlists
Hello James,

As others said already, your assistance would be very welcome.

Paul Vinkenoog is the project's Docs coordinator.  He's also one of
our most prolific author/editors.

At the moment, we have an urgent need for native speakers of English
to complete the review of the Fb 2.5 Language Reference.  If you could
find time to go over the DML, PSQL and Functions chapters (any or
all), you would be doing a great service.  Some of the DDL chapter
(as annotated) still remains to do, as well.  It would be beneficial
to take this opportunity to do a bit of recap.

I'm coordinating this part of this project.  What has worked well for
the review so far is for the reviewer to keep a text file containing
the existing text and his suggestions for improvements, corrections,
et al.  It is easiest to work with the PDF, quoting PDF page numbers
and the immediate heading.  Paul and Mark have been sending these
files directly to me ([hidden email]).  For pieces that have
already been reviewed, people just post the corrections directly to
this list.

As I complete a list of changes/reviews, I am posting the latest
Docbook source to CVS and building a fresh set of PDF and HTML output
to update the Docs at the web site.  I hope to have a fresh build
ready this weekend, touch wood.

The released source code will become the base version for
translations and future updates.  Martin Koeditz and his colleagues
have already begun the German, I believe.  I think Tsutomu Hayashi is
standing by to start on the Japanese.  Dennis Simonov is translating
back into Russian, with the Fb3 version in his sights. (The current Fb
2.5 text originated in Russian but not in Docbook format.)

We're all volunteers in this team - so we do what we can, when we can.

Kind regards,
Helen