Getting started

james traub
Hello Martin, Paul, Helen, and Mark.

I downloaded the latest version of the beta Firebird_Language_Reference_25EN.pdf. I will begin by reviewing the DML, PSQL and Functions chapters. I will send an update on my progress in a few days. I will also try to measure my technical level compared with the material. I was a production support database administrator and did little SQL development. I am sure I can contribute and will review the InterBase 6.0 beta LangRef and the Firebird 2.5 LangRef.

James

Re: Getting started

firebirdlists
Hello james,

>    Hello Martin, Paul, Helen, and Mark.

> I downloaded the latest version of the beta
> Firebird_Language_Reference_25EN.pdf. I will begin by reviewing the
> DML, PSQL and Functions chapters.

DML up to and including PROCEDURE has been done.  Just the small
objects remain, starting from PDF page 151 (pagination P. 137) at the
EXTERNAL FUNCTION section.

> will review the InterBase6.0 beta LangRef

If you mean "review for correctness, etc." then forget this one.  It
is about 16 years old and has never been updated in the Firebird era.

>  and the Firebird 2.5 LangRef.

This is the one.  It is a total replacement for the old InterBase
LangRef and all of the Firebird LangRef Update volumes.

Cheers,
Helen

Re: Getting started

Paul Vinkenoog
Hi James, all,

>> I downloaded the latest version of the beta
>> Firebird_Language_Reference_25EN.pdf. I will begin by reviewing the
>> DML, PSQL and Functions chapters.

> DML up to and including PROCEDURE has been done.  Just the small
> objects remain, starting from PDF page 151 (pagination P. 137) at the
> EXTERNAL FUNCTION section.

That's DDL up to and including PROCEDURE. So if James begins with the
DML chapter, he should start the beginning. But he can also start with
DDL, in that case from the EXTERNAL FUNCTION section.

>> will review the InterBase6.0 beta LangRef
>
> If you mean "review for correctness, etc." then forget this one.  It
> is about 16 years old and has never been updated in the Firebird era.
>
>>  and the Firebird 2.5 LangRef.
>
> This is the one.  It is a total replacement for the old InterBase
> LangRef and all of the Firebird LangRef Update volumes.

You can use the IB 6 LangRef and the Fb 2.5 LangRef *Update* while
checking information for correctness, although the ultimate test is
always to simply try things out. (But as I indicated earlier, if this
takes too much time or gets complicated, just having the English
corrected is already a big step forward from where we are now.)

Good luck!

Paul Vinkenoog

Re: Getting started

firebirdlists
Monday, March 21, 2016, 11:37:52 PM, Paul V. wrote:

What I wrote:
>> DML up to and including PROCEDURE has been done.  Just the small
>> objects remain, starting from PDF page 151 (pagination P. 137) at the
>> EXTERNAL FUNCTION section.

Paul corrected:
> That's DDL up to and including PROCEDURE.

Oops, sorry for that.  DDL (Data Definition Language), i.e., Chapter
5.

Helen