Quantcast

Fwd: Have you tried firebird 2.5 SuperClassic from the packages?

Fwd: Have you tried firebird 2.5 SuperClassic from the packages?

Mariuz
This needs to be added in the Getting started guide on Linux , i will
add to the ubuntu guide too (in the docbook)
I have added to the wiki https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firebird2.5

always use localhost: in front in front of db path when using classic
or superclassic in 2.5 this way the lock files and the shared memory
segment will be owned by the 'firebird' user. Another alternative is
to add yourself to firebird group

$ sudo adduser `id -un` firebird
Then connect to the db in superclassic or classic
$ isql-fb
SQL> connect "localhost:/var/lib/firebird/2.5/data/employee.fdb " user
'SYSDBA' password 'SYSDBApassword';

to explain this minor issue we had this "bug" reported in flamerobin
(second half of the article)
http://mapopa.blogspot.com/2008/10/testing-firebird-2.html

Re: Fwd: Have you tried firebird 2.5 SuperClassic from the packages?

Paul Vinkenoog
Hi Marius,

> This needs to be added in the Getting started guide on Linux , i will
> add to the ubuntu guide too (in the docbook)
> I have added to the wiki https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firebird2.5
>
> always use localhost: in front in front of db path when using classic
> or superclassic in 2.5 this way the lock files and the shared memory
> segment will be owned by the 'firebird' user.

Making this a generic advice kind of defeats the purpose of fast local
access through libfbembed.

> Another alternative is to add yourself to firebird group

Not everybody can do this.

What has changed between 2.1 and 2.5 that makes the shared lock files
inaccessible for "the other guy"?

Is this something caused by Firebird, or by the configuration of the
Ubuntu packages?

If by Firebird, it should be fixed or we might just as well strike
shared local access from the feature list ;-)

If by the package, it should be either fixed or documented as a
package-specific issue.

Paul Vinkenoog

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Paul Vinkenoog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Marius,
>
>> This needs to be added in the Getting started guide on Linux , i will
>> add to the ubuntu guide too (in the docbook)
>> I have added to the wiki https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firebird2.5
>>
>> always use localhost: in front in front of db path when using classic
>> or superclassic in 2.5 this way the lock files and the shared memory
>> segment will be owned by the 'firebird' user.
>
> Making this a generic advice kind of defeats the purpose of fast local
> access through libfbembed.
>
>> Another alternative is to add yourself to firebird group
>
> Not everybody can do this.
>
> What has changed between 2.1 and 2.5 that makes the shared lock files
> inaccessible for "the other guy"?
>
> Is this something caused by Firebird, or by the configuration of the
> Ubuntu packages?
>
> If by Firebird, it should be fixed or we might just as well strike
> shared local access from the feature list ;-)
>
> If by the package, it should be either fixed or documented as a
> package-specific issue.

it's a Firebird feature that people see it when they connect from
isql-fb (i wish to be called firebirdsql but that is another
disscussion)
they see the error because the locks are created with their own user
permissions when the db is first time accessed
and if another user tries to work with the db (think php) then an
error should occur

localhost : never fails with any user be it locally or remote (call it
the stable way to connect on classic , superclassic)

but if you are the admin and the only user then sudo should solve the problem

these are a set of warnings that must be added in the readme gsg  (and
inherited  from 2.1 classic)