Quantcast

Firebird connection through ActiveSync/Mobile Device Center

Firebird connection through ActiveSync/Mobile Device Center

Paul R. Gardner
Hello,

Hopefully this is the correct group for this question.  I have a Windows Mobile 6.4 application written in .Net 2.0.  The following steps are standard behavior for it:

  - User uses the handheld computer to scan inventory
  - User docks this device with a desktop PC (with a USB port)
  - Windows Mobile Device Center or ActiveSync starts and connects to it
  - The handheld device detects this and sends the inventory to the desktop PC's database
  - The handheld device uses a standard FBConnection from the .Net provider for this

If I perform these same steps, but have the PC's networking cable unplugged, this fails.  Mobile Device Center connects fine, but the FBConnection will not connect to the desktop PC's database.  At this point I'd like to stress that the PC is still connected like it was before to the handheld device, the only difference being that the PC's network cable is not plugged in (nor was it used when it was plugged in).

I have clients wanting to use this application and handheld computer but on a standalone PC not on any other network.  Is this possible?

Paul

Re: Firebird connection through ActiveSync/Mobile Device Center

Jiří Činčura
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 14:43, Paul R. Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mobile Device Center connects fine, but the FBConnection will not connect to
> the desktop PC's database.

Are you able to ping from device the PC?

--
Jiri {x2} Cincura (x2develop.com founder)
http://blog.cincura.net/ | http://www.ID3renamer.com

Re: Firebird connection through ActiveSync/Mobile Device Center

Paul R. Gardner
There's no CMD prompt in Windows Mobile, so I am not sure how to test this.

We have discovered a work around that we'll be using for now.  If the Microsoft Loopback Network Adapter is installed, everything works fine.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 17:13, Paul R. Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's no CMD prompt in Windows Mobile, so I am not sure how to test this.

Create simple application ...

--
Jiri {x2} Cincura (x2develop.com founder)
http://blog.cincura.net/ | http://www.ID3renamer.com

Re: Firebird connection through ActiveSync/Mobile Device Center

Miroslav Hrázský
I had same problem a few (6-7?) years ago when I was playing with
MSSQL replication between PPC and PC. Same solution. Probably it was,
and more it is now, absolute nonsense to not have any active network
adapter (for microsoft) :-)