Firebird Latest Odbc "SELECT TOP"

Mig/
We are porting to firebird some databases, some ODBC applications
does not work because "SELECT TOP" does not work, there is a workaround?
Since we are not able to change those application but only databases.

Thanks

MIG

Re: Firebird Latest Odbc "SELECT TOP"

Alexander Potapchenko-2
On 15.04.2011 11:11, Mig/ wrote:

> We are porting to firebird some databases, some ODBC applications
> does not work because "SELECT TOP" does not work, there is a workaround?
> Since we are not able to change those application but only databases.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Regards,
> MIG

"SELECT TOP" is not standard sql. That is a typical Microsoft only feature.
Always, when you migrate from one system to another you have to make
sure, that your software is only using SQL commands, that are defined in
the SQL standard.

Regards,
Alexander
--
Alexander Potapchenko
Lead developer

Re: Firebird Latest Odbc "SELECT TOP"

Kjell Rilbe
Den 2011-04-15 09:23 skrev Alexander Potapchenko såhär:

> On 15.04.2011 11:11, Mig/ wrote:
>> We are porting to firebird some databases, some ODBC applications
>> does not work because "SELECT TOP" does not work, there is a workaround?
>> Since we are not able to change those application but only databases.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> MIG
>>

> "SELECT TOP" is not standard sql. That is a typical Microsoft only feature.
> Always, when you migrate from one system to another you have to make
> sure, that your software is only using SQL commands, that are defined in
> the SQL standard.

If I'm not mistaken the SQL standard now includes the rows clause:

select *
from table
rows 1 to 20

Not sure about odbc etc and I don't think SQL Server supports rows, but
FB 2.5 does.

Kjell
--
Kjell Rilbe

Re: Firebird Latest Odbc "SELECT TOP"

Jorge Andres Brugger-3
better choice: rows
not-so-good choice: first (Firebird supported but non standard compliant)

Regards