Error code 335544332 invalid transaction handle (expecting explicit transaction start)

Error code 335544332 invalid transaction handle (expecting explicit transaction start)

Ralf Jansen

I recently switched from an older provider version (2.x something)  to the current 5.0.5.0 build and use it in an embedded scenario.

In that process I also switched from FB 2.5 to 3.0

I have stability problems when the system gets under heavy load with concurrent transactions/connections.

I receive 335544332 errors (invalid transaction handle) from random locations.

Any pointers at what to look?

Typical stacks look like

FirebirdSql.Data.Common.IscException: invalid transaction handle (expecting explicit transaction start)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.Client.Native.FesDatabase.ProcessStatusVector(IntPtr[] statusVector)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.Client.Native.FesStatement.Prepare(String commandText)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbCommand.Prepare(Boolean returnsSet)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, Boolean returnsSet)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbCommand.ExecuteScalar()

or

FirebirdSql.Data.Common.IscException: invalid transaction handle (expecting explicit transaction start)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.Client.Native.FesDatabase.ProcessStatusVector(IntPtr[] statusVector)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.Client.Native.FesTransaction.Commit()

   at FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbTransaction.Commit()

or

FirebirdSql.Data.Common.IscException: invalid transaction handle (expecting explicit transaction start)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.Client.Native.FesDatabase.ProcessStatusVector(IntPtr[] statusVector)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.Client.Native.FesStatement.Prepare(String commandText)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbCommand.Prepare(Boolean returnsSet)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, Boolean returnsSet)

   at FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbCommand.ExecuteScalar()

Re: Error code 335544332 invalid transaction handle (expecting explicit transaction start)

Thomas Steinmaurer
Ralf,

> I recently switched from an older provider version (2.x something)  to
> the current 5.0.5.0 build and use it in an embedded scenario.
>
> In that process I also switched from FB 2.5 to 3.0
>

> I have stability problems when the system gets under heavy load with
> concurrent transactions/connections.
>
> I receive 335544332 errors (invalid transaction handle) from random
> locations.
>

> Any pointers at what to look?

Quoting Dmitry Yemanov in firebird-support on July 12, 2016:

"This appears to be a bug in Firebird 3, being researched right now. I
hope to have the fix committed in a day or two."

--
With regards,
Thomas Steinmaurer

Professional Tools and Services for Firebird
FB TraceManager, IB LogManager, Database Health Check, Tuning etc.

On 04.08.2016 14:13, Thomas Steinmaurer wrote:

> Ralf,
>
>> I recently switched from an older provider version (2.x something)  to
>> the current 5.0.5.0 build and use it in an embedded scenario.
>>
>> In that process I also switched from FB 2.5 to 3.0
>>

>> I have stability problems when the system gets under heavy load with
>> concurrent transactions/connections.
>>
>> I receive 335544332 errors (invalid transaction handle) from random
>> locations.
>>

>> Any pointers at what to look?
>
> Quoting Dmitry Yemanov in firebird-support on July 12, 2016:
>
> "This appears to be a bug in Firebird 3, being researched right now. I
> hope to have the fix committed in a day or two."

Found the CORE issue now:
http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/CORE-5307

Marked as fixed, thus give a recent 3.0 snapshot a try.

--
With regards,
Thomas Steinmaurer
http://www.upscene.com/

Professional Tools and Services for Firebird
FB TraceManager, IB LogManager, Database Health Check, Tuning etc.

Re: Error code 335544332 invalid transaction handle (expecting explicit transaction start)

Ralf Jansen
Thanks Thomas,

>From where to get that? The snapshot build on firebirdsql.org is older than the tracker case. So the fix is presumably not in there.
I could get the master from Github but the recent commit history doesn't look like CORE-5307 has been fixed (at least it's not stated directly).

On 04.08.2016 14:13, Thomas Steinmaurer wrote:

> Ralf,
>
>> I recently switched from an older provider version (2.x something)
>> to the current 5.0.5.0 build and use it in an embedded scenario.
>>
>> In that process I also switched from FB 2.5 to 3.0
>>

>> I have stability problems when the system gets under heavy load with
>> concurrent transactions/connections.
>>
>> I receive 335544332 errors (invalid transaction handle) from random
>> locations.
>>

>> Any pointers at what to look?
>
> Quoting Dmitry Yemanov in firebird-support on July 12, 2016:
>
> "This appears to be a bug in Firebird 3, being researched right now. I
> hope to have the fix committed in a day or two."

Found the CORE issue now:
http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/CORE-5307

Marked as fixed, thus give a recent 3.0 snapshot a try.

--
With regards,
Thomas Steinmaurer
http://www.upscene.com/

Professional Tools and Services for Firebird FB TraceManager, IB LogManager, Database Health Check, Tuning etc.

Re: Error code 335544332 invalid transaction handle (expecting explicit transaction start)

Ralf Jansen
Tried the snapshot and can't reproduce the problem currently. I presumably misinterpreted the tracker info's.

I could get the master from Github but the recent commit history doesn't look like CORE-5307 has been fixed (at least it's not stated directly).

On 04.08.2016 14:13, Thomas Steinmaurer wrote:

> Ralf,
>
>> I recently switched from an older provider version (2.x something) to
>> the current 5.0.5.0 build and use it in an embedded scenario.
>>
>> In that process I also switched from FB 2.5 to 3.0
>>

>> I have stability problems when the system gets under heavy load with
>> concurrent transactions/connections.
>>
>> I receive 335544332 errors (invalid transaction handle) from random
>> locations.
>>

>> Any pointers at what to look?
>
> Quoting Dmitry Yemanov in firebird-support on July 12, 2016:
>
> "This appears to be a bug in Firebird 3, being researched right now. I
> hope to have the fix committed in a day or two."

Found the CORE issue now:
http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/CORE-5307

Marked as fixed, thus give a recent 3.0 snapshot a try.

--
With regards,
Thomas Steinmaurer
http://www.upscene.com/

Professional Tools and Services for Firebird FB TraceManager, IB LogManager, Database Health Check, Tuning etc.

Re: Error code 335544332 invalid transaction handle (expecting explicit transaction start)

Thomas Steinmaurer
Ralf,

> Tried the snapshot and can't reproduce the problem currently. I presumably misinterpreted the tracker info's.

According to:
https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird/commits/B3_0_Release

The fix has been committed on July 13, so the current Windows snapshot
from July 29 should include that.