Effect of DST on current_timestamp values

Effect of DST on current_timestamp values

Leyne, Sean

A post to the Firebird support list pointed out that current_timestamp values do not correctly reflect the effect of DST time changes while the server is running.

In order for current_timestamp to reflect the correct local time values, the server needs to be restarted.

Though it never occurred to me to check time condition, I would have to say that the current logic seems wrong.  Since current_timestamp is supposed to return the local time, all values should be valid in that context, and it should not require a server restart in order for the values to be correct.

I was going to log a case about this, but thought that I should post here first.

Sean

Re: Effect of DST on current_timestamp values

firebird-devel mailing list

On 13.06.2017 11:12, Leyne, Sean wrote:

A post to the Firebird support list pointed out that current_timestamp values do not correctly reflect the effect of DST time changes while the server is running.

In order for current_timestamp to reflect the correct local time values, the server needs to be restarted.

Though it never occurred to me to check time condition, I would have to say that the current logic seems wrong.  Since current_timestamp is supposed to return the local time, all values should be valid in that context, and it should not require a server restart in order for the values to be correct.

I was going to log a case about this, but thought that I should post here first.

IMHO this should go to the tracker

Re: Effect of DST on current_timestamp values

Dmitry Yemanov-3
13.06.2017 11:12, Leyne, Sean wrote:

> A post to the Firebird support list pointed out that current_timestamp
> values do not correctly reflect the effect of DST time changes while the
> server is running.
> In order for current_timestamp to reflect the correct local time values,
> the server needs to be restarted.
> Though it never occurred to me to check time condition, I would have to
> say that the current logic seems wrong.  Since current_timestamp is
> supposed to return the local time, all values should be valid in that
> context, and it should not require a server restart in order for the
> values to be correct.
> I was going to log a case about this, but thought that I should post
> here first.

Old known issue. The C runtime library caches the current time zone at
application startup, so any background changes at the system level
remain invisible to applications.

Dmitry