Driver still compatible with Interbase?

Jorge Andrés Brugger
ODBC driver 2.0 is still compatible with Interbase? or should better be
renamed to "Firebird ODBC driver"?

Regards!

--
Jorge Andrés Brugger
Informática

Re: Driver still compatible with Interbase?

Alexander Potapchenko-2
On 12.04.2011 15:54, Jorge Andrés Brugger wrote:
> ODBC driver 2.0 is still compatible with Interbase? or should better be
> renamed to "Firebird ODBC driver"?
>
> Regards!

I think that ODBC driver 2.0 is compatible with Interbase, but I didn't
test the driver with IB.
The Firebird/InterBase(r) driver is the historical name and I think that
many application can use the such connection string:
strConn = "driver={Firebird/InterBase(r) driver}; Database=;
UID=SYSDBA;PWD=masterkey"
Therefore I think that to rename the driver is the bad idea as yet.

Regards,
Alexander
--
Alexander Potapchenko
Lead developer

Re: [SPAM 4] Re: Driver still compatible with Interbase?

Kjell Rilbe
Den 2011-04-12 14:52 skrev Alexander Potapchenko såhär:
> I think that ODBC driver 2.0 is compatible with Interbase, but I didn't
> test the driver with IB.
> The Firebird/InterBase(r) driver is the historical name and I think that
> many application can use the such connection string:
> strConn = "driver={Firebird/InterBase(r) driver}; Database=;
> UID=SYSDBA;PWD=masterkey"
> Therefore I think that to rename the driver is the bad idea as yet.

While I sympathise with efforts for backwards compatibility, I find this
very odd. If the driver is not being actively maintained for Interbase
support and is not tested with IB, I think it is desinformation with
such a name.

I'd recommend a feature freeze for the driver with the old name and use
a FB only name for all future versions.

Kjell
--
--------------------------------------
Kjell Rilbe

On 12.04.2011 17:03, Kjell Rilbe wrote:

> I'd recommend a feature freeze for the driver with the old name and use
> a FB only name for all future versions.
>
> Kjell
It is possible in new version 2.1... but this version will be not in the
near future.

--
Alexander Potapchenko
Lead developer
LASP technology, http://www.lasptech.ru

Re: [SPAM 4] Re: Driver still compatible with Interbase?

Jorge Andres Brugger-3
Alexander, there is some kind of roadmap or concrete ideas about future development of odbc driver?

Regards

On 14.04.2011 22:20, Jorge Andres Brugger wrote:
> Alexander, there is some kind of roadmap or concrete ideas about
> future development of odbc driver?
Bugs fixing in 2.0.1. The is no roadmap for 2.1 now.

--
Alexander Potapchenko
Lead developer
LASP technology, http://www.lasptech.ru

Re: [SPAM 4] Re: Driver still compatible with Interbase?

Jorge Andres Brugger-3
Agreed.

El 12/04/2011 09:52 a.m., Alexander Potapchenko escribió:

> On 12.04.2011 15:54, Jorge Andrés Brugger wrote:
>> ODBC driver 2.0 is still compatible with Interbase? or should better be
>> renamed to "Firebird ODBC driver"?
>>
>> Regards!
>>
> I think that ODBC driver 2.0 is compatible with Interbase, but I didn't
> test the driver with IB.
> The Firebird/InterBase(r) driver is the historical name and I think that
> many application can use the such connection string:
> strConn = "driver={Firebird/InterBase(r) driver}; Database=;
> UID=SYSDBA;PWD=masterkey"
> Therefore I think that to rename the driver is the bad idea as yet.
>
> Regards,
> Alexander
Today I've faced a new problem: I´ve documented a connection string to a
wiki, and "Driver=Firebird/InterBase(r) driver" gets transformed to
"Driver=Firebird/InterBase® driver". I´ve copied such string to my app
config, and took me several minutes until I´ve found the problem. I´ve
checked the other odbc driver names I have on my PC, and none includes
"special chars". Another reason to change the name ... :)
It's fine if I create a suggestion on the tracker?

Regards!

--
Jorge Andrés Brugger
Informática
DASU - Obra Social del Personal de la Universidad Nacional de la Patagonia
Comodoro Rivadavia, Chubut, Argentina
Teléfono (0297) 446-4444 int. 103
Correo electrónico: [hidden email]
Website: www.dasu.com.ar

Re: Driver still compatible with Interbase?

Alexander Potapchenko-2
Jorge,

Of course I will rename the driver name to "Firebird ODBC driver" in new
versions, it is more correctly because the driver does not support last
versions of Interbase entirely.
BTW, there are freeware Embarcadero InterBase ODBC Driver -
http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/28975, it is based on Firebird ODBC driver.

--
Alexander Potapchenko
Team leader

Re: Driver still compatible with Interbase?

Jorge Andrés Brugger
Thanks  Alexander!

Firebird and Fireboird ODBC are moving in the right direction.

Regards.