Connecting firebird

Mark Murphy
Dear firebird helpers

I've just installed firebird the for the first time using (on Windows 7 64 bit Dell)

Firebird-2.5.1.26351_1_x64.exe
Firebird_ODBC_2.0.0.151_x64.exe
flamerobin-0.9.2-1-setup.exe

All installations OK can I can see the demonstration 'EMPLOYEES' database in Flamerobin - all looks very promising

Now I would like to set up an ODBC connection so my target users can see data via Microsoft Excel.

In Control Panel-ODBC Data Source Administrator I have added a System DSN "Employees" for the employees database and the "Test connection" button indicates "Connection Successful!". Works for both SYSDBA account and also for a second account I have set up.  Very happy so far!

Next if fire up a blank Excel 2007 workbook and attempt to connect using:

1. Data - From Other Sources (Ribbon) - Data connection wizard - ODBC DSN - but nothing listed for firebird so go back and  try...
2.other/advanced - perhaps Microsoft OLE DB Simple Provider ???? - no signs there either
3.Data - From Other Sources (Ribbon)  - Microsoft Query - New data source - select Firebird/Interbase(r) driver - Connect - enter USER and passwork (SYSDBA and masterkey) and get a message "! file is not a valid database"

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Regards

Mark

Perhaps use