2.5 RHEL PPC64

Philippe Makowski
Hi all,

yesterday I made rpm for Fedora 15 and RHEL6

I got a problem building for RHEL6 on PPC64
log is there :

any clue ?

Damian, did you made a patch specificly for ppc64 on Debian ?

ps :
Firebird 2.5 rpm are in Fedora rawhide (Fedora 15), on EPEL6 beta for
RHEL6 and future Centos6

For Fedora 14 (the actual stable Fedora) I made a private repository
here : http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/makowski/firebird/

--
Philippe Makowski

Re: 2.5 RHEL PPC64

Alex Peshkoff
 On 11/23/10 13:55, Philippe Makowski wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> yesterday I made rpm for Fedora 15 and RHEL6
>
> I got a problem building for RHEL6 on PPC64
> log is there :
>  http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2616329
>
> any clue ?

The reason is:
../src/include/../common/classes/fb_atomic.h:518:2: error: #error
AtomicCounter: implement appropriate code for your platform!

Looks like build machine has no libatomic_ops installed. If libatomic
supports PPC64, I think using it will be best solution.

> Damian, did you made a patch specificly for ppc64 on Debian ?

Damyan's patch works with libatomic_ops installed.

> ps :
> Firebird 2.5 rpm are in Fedora rawhide (Fedora 15), on EPEL6 beta for
> RHEL6 and future Centos6

Very interesting. Are they going to use systemd instead init in F15? If
yes we will have to make some changes in the code to have native systemd
support.

Re: 2.5 RHEL PPC64

Philippe Makowski
Alex Peshkoff  [2010-11-23 13:04] :
> The reason is:
> ../src/include/../common/classes/fb_atomic.h:518:2: error: #error
> AtomicCounter: implement appropriate code for your platform!
>
> Looks like build machine has no libatomic_ops installed. If libatomic
> supports PPC64, I think using it will be best solution.
> Damyan's patch works with libatomic_ops installed.

ok, so I need to add a build dependance

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=libatomic_ops.git;a=blob;f=dead.package;h=d0b7c6ca08e1267aa60e42b7577b3f101d18d28d;hb=HEAD

I will keep you inform
thanks

>> ps :
>> Firebird 2.5 rpm are in Fedora rawhide (Fedora 15), on EPEL6 beta for
>> RHEL6 and future Centos6
>>

> Very interesting. Are they going to use systemd instead init in F15? If
> yes we will have to make some changes in the code to have native systemd
> support.

I will come back about this later, but yes
even if the way Fedora will manage this , init will be still valid
but Fedora is their for testing new things, so, we'll do

Re: 2.5 RHEL PPC64

Damyan Ivanov-5
-=| Philippe Makowski, Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:55:25AM +0100 |=-
> yesterday I made rpm for Fedora 15 and RHEL6
>
> I got a problem building for RHEL6 on PPC64
> log is there :
>  http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2616329
>
> any clue ?
>
> Damian, did you made a patch specificly for ppc64 on Debian ?

There was one once, removing -mcpu from
builds/posix/prefix.linux_powerpc.

http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/firebird2.5/2.5.0.26054~ReleaseCandidate3.ds2-1/powerpc-no-mcpu.patch

I think you may also find useful atomic_ops_require_cas.patch from
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/package/firebird2.5/2.5.0.26054~ReleaseCandidate3.ds2-1

Both patches are applied in trunk (3.0 pre-alpha).

Re: 2.5 RHEL PPC64

Philippe Makowski
Philippe Makowski  [2010-11-23 13:28] :

> Alex Peshkoff  [2010-11-23 13:04] :
>> The reason is:
>> ../src/include/../common/classes/fb_atomic.h:518:2: error: #error
>> AtomicCounter: implement appropriate code for your platform!
>>
>> Looks like build machine has no libatomic_ops installed. If libatomic
>> supports PPC64, I think using it will be best solution.
>> Damyan's patch works with libatomic_ops installed.
>
> ok, so I need to add a build dependance
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=libatomic_ops.git;a=blob;f=dead.package;h=d0b7c6ca08e1267aa60e42b7577b3f101d18d28d;hb=HEAD
>
> I will keep you inform

ok, solved with adding a BuildRequires: libatomic_ops-devel
thanks

>> Very interesting. Are they going to use systemd instead init in F15? If
>> yes we will have to make some changes in the code to have native systemd
>> support.
yes systemd is really planed for Fedora 15
but there is a lot of work to do for Fedora , but since it is compatible
with SysV and LSB init scripts, that's can be a slow move

and that's not the only change that impact Firebird package, /var/run
and /var/lock will be mounted from tmpfs
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/var-run-tmpfs)

here some information about systemd :
> This is a good start point
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd-for-admins-3.html
>
> About services, sockets, targets etc
> http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/
>
> You may want to read all systemd related things from
> http://0pointer.de/blog/
> (if you don't know how it works, you should start from begining)

Re: 2.5 RHEL PPC64

Philippe Makowski
Alex Peshkoff  [2010-11-23 13:04] :
>   Are they going to use systemd instead init in F15? If
> yes we will have to make some changes in the code to have native systemd
> support.
OpenSuse also is moving to systemd
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Systemd_status